San Marino : Customs Unions and preferential arrangements
a) Legal framework
- The Co-operation and Customs Union Agreement (OJ L 84 of 28.3.2002) concerns products covered by Chapters 1 to 97 of the Common Customs Tariff, except products falling within the scope of the Treaty establishing the European Coal and Steel Community. This Agreement follows the Interim Agreement on trade and customs union between the European Economic Community and the Republic of San Marino (OJ L 359 of 09.12.1992).
- Co-operation Committee Decisions (instituted by Article 23 of the Customs Union Agreement):
- No 2/92 and 3/92 (OJ L 42 of 19.02.1993): these decisions concern on the one hand laws, regulations and administrative provisions applicable to customs matters in the Community to be adopted by the Republic of San Marino, and on the other hand the arrangements for the provision of mutual assistance pursuant to Article 13 of the Agreement between the Community and San Marino.
- No 4/92, as amended by Decision No 1/2002, on movement of goods and administrative co-operation (OJ L 42 of 19.02.1993 + OJ L 99 of 16.04.2002)
- No 1/2010 ("Omnibus") establishing various implementing measures for the Agreement on Cooperation and Customs Union between the European Economic Community and the Republic of San Marino – OJ L 156 of 23.06.2010
b) Specific provisions
- Customs Union Internal aspects:
- Free movement of goods produced in the Community or in the Republic of San Marino, including those obtained wholly or in part from products which come from third countries and are in free circulation in the Community or in San Marino;
- Elimination of tariff and non tariff measures : Trade between the Community and the Republic of San Marino shall be exempt from all import and export duties and charges having equivalent effect.
- Customs Union External aspects: the Republic of San Marino shall apply in respect of third countries the Common Customs Tariff, laws, regulations and administrative provisions applicable to customs matters in the Community and necessary for the proper functioning of the customs union and the common commercial policy of the Community.
- Community Declaration on recognition of equivalent treatment for products originating in San Marino and products originating in the Community in the framework of the Union's preferential agreements.