Navigation path


Any natural person entering or leaving the EU and carrying cash of a value of €10 000 or more is required to declare that sum to the competent authorities of the Member State through which he/she is entering or leaving the EU.

  • Any natural person is any traveller or crewmember that enters or leaves the EU by air, road, rail or sea.
  • If this person is carrying cash for a legal entity (e.g. the company for which he/she works), that person must give the name of the company in the declaration.
  • For persons travelling in a group the € 10 000 limit applies to each person individually.
  • The obligation to declare cash also applies to minors through their parents or legal guardians, and to mentally incompetent persons or protected adult persons through their legal representation.