Seniorforce Days staged in 25 countries across Europe to celebrate the power of senior volunteering
European Seniorforce Day events were staged across all Member States around October 1, the International Day of Older Persons, as a way to engage and harness the power of senior volunteers.
The idea behind this initiative promoted by the European Commission and held in the framework of the European Year for Active Ageing and Solidarity between Generations is to mobilise people 60+ who have plenty to offer their families and communities and to find ways to utilise the potential of this formidable force.
With over 11,000 participants, the Seniorforce Day initiative has received a wide support all over Europe. Presidents, ministers, high-level officials, NGO representatives, scientists and EY2012 Ambassadors took part in the 25 events promoted by the European Commission to honour senior volunteers.
- Finland, 15 September 2012 - An event of Occupy Your Own Age in Helsinki was also a Seniorforce celebration.
- Slovakia, 21-22 September 2012 - The annual Volunteering Days put the focus this year on senior volunteering.
- Bulgaria, 23 September 2012 - The Seniorforce Day was held in Sofia under the motto "Sport, health and active longevity".
- Poland - 24-26 September 2012 - “Intergenerational Days for Promoting Activity" convention and Active 50+ fair in Warsaw.
- United Kingdom, 1 October 2012 - The Age UK's Older Volunteer Awards were presented to 14 seniors at a ceremony in Europe House, London.
- Sweden, 1 October 2012 - The Seniorforce Day was staged at Orebro’s Senior Festival.
- Denmark, 1 October 2012 - Intergenerational collaboration examples and senior volunteering initiatives were highlighted at a Seniorforce event in Roskilde.
- Germany, 1 October 2012 - A seminar in Stuttgart emphasized the important role of life long learning and voluntary activities after retirement.
- Italy, 1 October 2012 - The Seniorforce Day was held in the city of Taglio Di Po as part of a whole month of activities programmed to honour the elderly.
- Latvia, 1 October 2012 - Senior volunteers presented the local Registry Office of Livani with 60 pairs of baby booties.
- Slovenia, 3 October 2012 - "The Power of Senior Volunteers" round table was held at the Festival of the Third Age, in Ljubljana.
- Cyprus, 3 October 2012 - “Volunteering and Active Ageing” event in Nicosia.
- Estonia, 5 October 2012 - Senior volunteers were awarded at a ceremony held during the Senior Festival in Tallinn.
- The Netherlands, 5 October 2012 - The Seniorforce Day was held with a series of activities in the city of Haarlem.
- Portugal - 6 October 2012 - Around 800 citizens participated in the “Generations in Movement” festive day, in Oeiras.
- Ireland - 5-7 October 2012 - Students from Drogheda and Dundalk discovered firsthand what exactly senior volunteers do to help out locally.
- Belgium - 11 October 2012 - Volunteering organisations and seniors aged 55+ participated in a workshop in the city of Hasselt.
- Luxembourg - 13 October 2012 - The Seniorforce Day was celebrated with the seminar “The key to a successful transition to retirement”, in Luxembourg.
- Austria - 13 October 2012 - The first Volunteering Fair in Vienna brought special attention to the EY2012 promoting volunteering “for and from” the elderly.
- Spain - 16 October 2012 - Senior volunteers and the beneficiaries of their actions shared their experiences in an event held in Madrid.
- Lithuania - 16 October 2012 - Over 300 seniors attended the Generations Volunteering Day, celebrated at the National Philharmonic Society, in Vilnius.
- Czech Republic - 18 October 2012 - EY2012 Ambassadors Kveta Fialova and Michal Giboda participated in the Seniorforce Day held at a retirement home in Humpolec.
- Hungary - 19 October 2012 - Old craftsmen taught young people the secrets of traditional arts in a joyful event held at the village of Magyarpolány.
- Greece - 24 October 2012 - Teenagers, university students and older people worked hand in hand in a series of interactive creative workshops in Athens.
- Romania - 25 October 2012 - “Workshops to encourage volunteering among senior citizens" held in Bucharest.
Pictures of these events are available here.
For more information about the European Seniorforce Day you may visit this webpage.