Social Protection Committee
The Social Protection Committee (SPC) is as an EU advisory policy committee, established by the Treaty on the Functioning of the EU (article 160), which:
- monitors social conditions in the EU and the development of social protection policies in member countries. It reports on social inclusion, health care, long-term care and pensions under the social open method of coordination
- promotes discussion and coordination of policy approaches among national governments and the Commission. It prepares Council discussions on social protection and on the country-specific recommendations in the context of the European Semester. It also produces reports and opinions on its own initiative or at the request of the Council or the Commission.
Reports and other outputs
Opinions and other working documents produced by the Social Protection Committee are available using the documents database for employment, social affairs & inclusion.
The main outputs of the SPC are:
Social Protection Committee documents can also be downloaded from the Council of the EU's public register.
Social Protection Performance Monitor (SPPM)
The SPC developed a monitoring tool which identifies annual key social trends to watch in the EU.
About the Social Protection Performance Monitor
Thematic and multilateral surveillance
The SPC has an established framework for thematic and multilateral surveillance of EU countries' social protection reforms. EU countries report in the SPC and are assessed by a reviewing EU country and the Commission.
Organisation and work plan
- composition – 2 delegates from each EU country and the Commission
- chairperson elected for 2-year term (non-renewable)
- bureau assisting the chairperson consists of: Commission, 4 Vice-Presidents (2 elected vice-presidents, 1 representative from the current and 1 representative from the next Council Presidency country). Current composition of the Bureau: Thomas Dominique (Chair), Jerzy Ciechanski (Vice-Chair), Muriel Rabau (Vice-Chair). The Commission members to the SPC are Koos Richelle, Director General of DG Employment, Social Affairs and Inclusion and Lieve Fransen, Director for Europe 2020: Social Policies.
- Secretariat provided by the Commission through a team of officials including Karolina Kaminska, Kornelia Kozovska, Ionut Sasu, Dijana Ror Boone. The current SPC Secretary is Dimo Iliev.
- Indicators sub-group (ISG) – permanent sub-group, chaired by John Bohan (IE)
- ad-hoc groups working on specific topics:
- SPC-AGE group working on issues related to pensions (Chair: to be appointed) and long-term care (Chair: Nicolas Jakobsen, SE),
- SPC-SSGI working on social services of general interest (Markus Seppelin, FI),
- SPC-FEE working on financing, effectiveness and efficiency of social protection (Chair: Thomas Dominique, LU).