Sectoral social dialogue
- Local and regional governments
Social dialogue in this sector:
- covers local and regional public services (local administrators, fire-fighters, waste workers, community liaison personnel, etc.)
- aims to promote quality local and regional government public services based on values of social and environmental responsibility and accountability
- serves as a forum to exchange information on labour market issues
- responds to consultations and other initiatives by the Commission, Parliament and Council, is pro-active and influences legislation and policy in the fields of employment, training, social protection, labour law, health and safety related issues.
The national associations represented in the social dialogue committee represent some 150,000 local and regional authorities.
The Committee is currently focusing on:
- the economic crisis and its impact on local and regional government
- change processes
- health and safety and working environment
- skills and life-long learning
- climate change and the ‘greening of the workplace’
- “Innovation flagship” of the Europe 2020 strategy.
Activities and meetings
Check the library entries for this sectoral social dialogue committee.
- Opinion on the EC guide to socially responsible public procurement (2011)
- Joint statement to the European Council meeting on the economic crisis (2011)
- Guidelines on third party violence (2010)
- Guidelines to drawing up gender equality action plans in local and regional government (2007)
See also "European sectoral social dialogue – recent developments" (2010 brochure).