Sectoral social dialogue
Social dialogue in this sector covers:
- electric power generation, distribution, trade & transmission.
The electricity sector employs over 1.1 million people in the EU in over 56,000 businesses.
Challenges in the sector include:
- competition from other energy sources (e.g. gas, oil) and ‘behind-the-meter’ solutions (e.g. photovoltaics)
- security of the energy supply
- adapting to climate change
- demographic change
- restructuring the industry.
The Committee is currently focusing on:
- follow-up to the Energy Roadmap 2050 on Employment
- managing the 'just energy transition'
- skills and qualifications
- youth employment
- corporate social responsibility
- equal opportunities and diversity (e.g. work-life balance)
- health and safety.
Activities and meetings
Check the library entries for this sectoral social dialogue committee.
- New Energy Market Design – joint position (2015)
- Joint position on addressing measures to mitigate social impacts for COP21 UN Climate Change Conference (2015)
- Competencies, qualifications and anticipation of change: a joint framework of actions of the European social partners in the electricity sector(2015)
- First follow-up of Joint position on the social aspects of Corporate Social Responsibility - Positive actions on Training/Health & safety/Equal opportunity & Diversity (2014)
- Joint position on the 2030 Framework for Climate and Energy Policies (2013)
- Joint Framework of Action on Competencies, qualifications and anticipation of change in the European electricity sector (2013)