Unforeseen medical treatment
Note: Residents of the other Nordic countries (Denmark, Finland, Iceland and Sweden) need only to show a valid national ID card to access public healthcare in Norway.
Norway has not adopted EU Regulation 1231/10. This means non-EU nationals cannot use their EHICs in Norway unless they are stateless, refugees or family members of an EU national.
800HELSE (public health services portal)
Tel: 800 43 573
Treatment, coverage & costs
- To receive emergency or essential treatment, you should preferably go to an accident and emergency department ('legevakt') or a general practitioner working for the public healthcare system. Show your European Health Insurance Card and your passport or other identification.
- Provided that you have a valid card, you will pay a subsidised fee for your treatment on the same basis as a person living in Norway. Charges are not refundable and may vary.
- You will usually have to pay the full cost of any dental treatment.
- Dental treatment is usually non-refundable in Norway, except for children.
- You must be referred by a doctor to receive hospital treatment.
- In an emergency, you can get treatment in the nearest public hospital.
- In-patient treatment, including any medication you need, is free of charge.
- To see a specialist or receive out-patient treatment, you must be referred by a doctor, and you must pay the applicable standard fees.
- Prescription medicines can be collected at any pharmacy. Charges may vary.
- Ambulance transport is free of charge in emergencies.
- Air ambulance transport is free of charge in emergencies.
- If you show your European Health Insurance Card, you should be charged only standard patient contributions (which are not refundable).
- If you have to pay for care, contact your national health insurance provider when you get home to claim a refund.
Call tel.: 800HELSE 800 43 573
Dialysis, oxygen & chemotherapy
Contact the local hospital in Norway.
How do I apply for an EHIC?
Norwegian citizens who are entitled to the EHIC order the card by logging on to helsenorge.no
Doctors & hospitals accepting the EHIC
- All public doctors and public health services accept the EHIC.
- Call 800HELSE (800 43 573) if you need further information.
Loss of card
Contacts for holders of EHICs issued in Norway
Tel: +47 23 32 70 30