Unforeseen medical treatment
Note: Residents of the other Nordic countries (Denmark, Finland, Iceland and Sweden) need only to show a valid national ID card to access public healthcare in Norway.
Norway has not adopted EU Regulation 1231/10. This means non-EU nationals cannot use their EHICs in Norway unless they are stateless, refugees or family members of an EU national.
800HELSE (public health services portal)
Tel: 800 43 573
Treatment, coverage & costs
- To receive emergency or essential treatment, you should preferably go to an accident and emergency department ('legevakt') or a general practitioner working for the public healthcare system. Show your European Health Insurance Card and your passport or other identification.
- Provided that you have a valid card, you will pay a subsidised fee for your treatment on the same basis as a person living in Norway. Charges are not refundable and may vary.
- You will usually have to pay the full cost of any dental treatment.
- Dental treatment is usually non-refundable in Norway, except for children.
- You must be referred by a doctor to receive hospital treatment.
- In an emergency, you can get treatment in the nearest public hospital.
- In-patient treatment, including any medication you need, is free of charge.
- To see a specialist or receive out-patient treatment, you must be referred by a doctor, and you must pay the applicable standard fees.
- Prescription medicines can be collected at any pharmacy. Charges may vary.
- Ambulance transport is free of charge in emergencies.
- Air ambulance transport is free of charge in emergencies.
- If you show your European Health Insurance Card, you should be charged only standard patient contributions (which are not refundable).
- If you have to pay for care, contact your national health insurance provider when you get home to claim a refund.
Call tel.: 800HELSE 800 43 573
Dialysis, oxygen & chemotherapy
Contact the local hospital in Norway.
How to apply
Norwegian citizens who are entitled to the EHIC order the card by logging on to helsenorge.no
List of doctors or hospitals
- All public doctors and public health services accept the EHIC.
- Call 800HELSE (800 43 573) if you need further information.
Loss of card
Contacts for holders of EHICs issued in Norway
Tel: +47 23 32 70 30