Unforeseen medical treatment
Call 144 or 112
Amt für Gesundheit (National Office of Health) (German and English)
Tel: +423 236 7340
Treatment & costs
Patients' have to pay a basic fee for their healthcare insurance and, in some cases, a percentage of the cost of the treatment. Patients with a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) have to pay an average of CHF 67.00 which offers one month's healthcare insurance. The Office of Public Health will claim this fee from the insured person by bill after receiving the invoice(s) from the service provider(s) consulted. This standard fee will be charged even if the stay is shorter than a month.
Persons who have reached regular retirement age pay half the fee and children under the age of 20 are exempted.
- To take advantage of your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), you should consult a doctor who works under the public health scheme which can be found under http://www.lkv.li. These consultations are free as doctors are paid directly by the insurance (see above).
- If you consult a non-contracted doctor, you will have to pay the full cost and will be only be reimbursed at 50%.
- There is no state-provided dental care in Liechtenstein so you will have to pay the full cost as private treatment.
- There is only one hospital in Liechtenstein.
- The Amt für Gesundheit (National Office of Health) generally needs to approve your admission, except for emergency treatment.
- You will be charged a fee.
- Children and pensioners will be charged a reduced fee.
- Ambulance travel costs towards healthcare establishments contracted to the federation of health insurers are covered.
- Use of an air ambulance is covered up to a maximum amount. You will have to pay any costs above that amount.
On top of the insurance fee, patients are usually charged only the proportion of their healthcare costs that remains at their charge - no reimbursement is available for these payments. However, if you consult a non-contracted doctor practicing in Liechtenstein, you will have to pay the full cost in advance and will be reimbursed at 50%.