How to use the card
- United Kingdom
Call 999 or 112
National Health Service 111 service (NHS)
Treatment, coverage & costs
- All NHS dental treatment that is clinically necessary is provided at a standard non-refundable charge. Find a dentist near you.
Hospital treatment (NHS)
- Apart from emergency care, hospital treatment is arranged through your doctor (GP), dentist or optician. Most treatment at NHS hospitals is free if you have a valid European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). Find a hospital near you.
- As a visitor with a valid card you are entitled to all clinically necessary state provided medical treatment free of charge. The card does not cover planned treatment.
- Necessary ambulance transport is free of charge.
- No information available.
- In the UK, treatment is most often free of charge, so there is no refund system.
- When standard charges are applied (such as fees for NHS dentists or prescription charges), these are not refundable in the UK.
- If you have to pay for care, contact your national health insurance provider once you return home to seek reimbursement.
Dialysis, oxygen & chemotherapy
How do I apply for an EHIC?
Doctors & hospitals accepting the EHIC
Loss of card
Contacts for holders of EHICs issued in the United Kingdom, while abroad requiring treatment
Overseas Healthcare Team:
Tel: 0191 218 1999 (from the UK)
+44 191 218 1999 (from abroad)
Re-apply for lost or stolen card once back in the UK.