Unforeseen medical treatment
Ministry of Health, the Elderly and Community Care
Tel: + 356 22992345
Treatment & costs
- Treatment is provided free of charge in public health centres.
- Acute emergency dental treatment is provided free of charge in the public hospital and health centres, but its extent is limited.
- Most dental care is provided in the private sector. Any costs incurred for private healthcare are non-refundable.
- Treatment in the accident and emergency department of a public hospital is free of charge.
- Any medication prescribed during inpatient treatment, or for the first three days after you are discharged, is free.
- You will be charged in full for anything prescribed after this period and these charges are not refundable.
- Ambulance travel is free in an emergency as long as you can prove you are entitled to treatment.
- No information available.
Contact the Entitlement Unit within the Maltese Ministry of Health, and show your original receipts.
Ministry of Health
23 St. John’s Street
Tel: +356 22992345
If you have had to pay for the cost of your care and have been unable to claim a refund while you are away you should contact your national health insurance provider.