Unforeseen medical treatment
Caisse nationale de santé (Luxembourg National Health Fund)
Tel: + 352 27 57 - 1
Treatment, coverage & costs
- You may consult any doctor as they all work under the public healthcare system (Caisse nationale de santé – CNS).
- Charges for seeing a doctor vary. Make sure you are given a receipt for any amount you pay.
- You do not need a referral to see a specialist.
- You must present your European Health Insurance Card.
- You may consult any dentist as they all work under the public healthcare system.
- Beyond an annual amount of €60 fully reimbursed, dental care is reimbursed at the rate of 88%. There exist specific reimbursement rates and conditions for dental prostheses.
- For some dental treatment, you must seek approval from the CNS in advance.
- All hospitals in Luxembourg have a contract with the national health fund CNS. You must, however, present your European Health Insurance Cards upon admission.
- For hospital treatment, in-patients pay a non-refundable standard daily fee.
- Children under 18 do not have to pay this daily fee.
- There may also be a charge payable directly to the treating doctor, which will then have to be presented for reimbursement to the CNS.
- You have to pay for any optional extras, e.g. a single room.
- You can take your prescription to any pharmacy in Luxembourg.
- Some prescriptions must be authorised by the national health fund CNS before you are given the medicine.
- How much you are reimbursed depends on the medicine required. You should therefore ask the doctor whether you need to contact the CNS.
- Emergency ambulance transport is free of charge for persons with a valid European Health Insurance Card or replacement card.
- Non-emergency transport is covered up to 70% of the bills which are established on the basis of €1.12/km, with a minimum amount of €34 per trip. Only transportation arriving at or departing from a hospital is covered and on the prescription must be indicated that, for medical reasons, the patient needs to be transported in a reclining or immobilised position.
Emergency air ambulance transport is free of charge for persons with a valid European Health Insurance Card or replacement card.
A claim for reimbursement should be addressed to the Luxembourgish national health fund (Caisse nationale de santé – CNS).
Caisse nationale de santé (CNS)
Tel: + 352 27 57 - 1
- You may not be reimbursed in full as some state-covered healthcare in Luxembourg must be paid for in part by the patient.
- You will need to submit the original bill and a proof of payment to the CNS to be reimbursed. Also needed are a copy of your European Health Insurance Card, your address of residence and your bank details. Confirmation of your refund will be sent to your home address.
- Keep copies of anything you send for your records.
- If you were unable to submit a claim during your stay, contact your national health insurance provider once you return home.
- A doctor's appointment – Charges for seeing a doctor vary. The coverage is usually 88% of the official tariff. Make sure you are given a receipt for any amount you pay.
- A doctor's visit at home – You will have to pay 20% of the minimum cost of a home visit.
- For hospital treatment, in-patients currently pay a non-refundable standard daily fee of currently €20.93 (this standard daily fee does not apply to children under 18. Furthermore, it is limited to a maximum of 30 days per calendar year).
- Dental treatment – Beyond an annual amount of €60.00 fully reimbursed, dental care is reimbursed at the rate of 88%. Specific reimbursement rates and conditions apply for dental prostheses.
- Others: see sections 'Treatment, coverage and costs'
Dialysis, oxygen & chemotherapy
- Your EHIC covers the provision of oxygen, dialysis and chemotherapy
- You have to arrange and pre-book medical treatment before you go. Ensure you allow plenty of time to make all the necessary arrangements before you travel.
- Contact the CNS for assistance.
- For dialysis: Find the nearest dialysis center.
- For oxygen: Contact the CNS for assistance.
- For chemotherapy (in alphabetical order):
Loss of card
Contacts for holders of EHICs issued in Luxembourg
Caisse nationale de santé
Tel: + 352 27 57 - 1
Order by using the replacement form.