Unforeseen medical treatment
Call 03 or 112
Valstybinė ligonių kasa - VLK (National Health Insurance Fund)
Tel: +370 5 236 41 00
Information about healthcare available for European Health Insurance Card holders in Lithuania
Treatment, coverage & costs
- To take advantage of your European Health Insurance Card, you must consult a doctor at a healthcare institution that has a contract with one of the regional health insurance funds.
- Treatment is free of charge if you show your European Health Insurance Card and passport.
- Dental care is free of charge if you consult a dentist who works under a contract with one of the territorial health insurance funds.
- You will be charged for any materials used, e.g. fillings.
- Around 80% of the dentists in Lithuania have a private practice, meaning that charges for their services are not reimbursed.
- You can visit the accident and emergency department of any hospital in Lithuania. Show your European Health Insurance Card and your passport upon admission.
- In all other cases, you will need a referral from a doctor. If you seek non-emergency hospital treatment without a referral, you will be charged the full cost.
- Part of the cost of prescribed subsidised medicines is covered by the national health insurance fund (Valstybinė ligonių kasa - VLK). You must pay any outstanding amount. You will have to pay the full price for any pharmaceutical which is not listed in the national price list of subsidised medicines.
- Transport by ambulance is free of charge.
- No information available.
- You will only be charged for your share of the treatment costs.
- These amounts are not refundable in Lithuania.
- If you have to pay for care, you should contact your national health insurance provider when you return home to seek reimbursement.
- There are no co-payments for healthcare services.
- The patient covers 10%, 20% or 50% of the cost of subsidised medicines.
- The reimbursement level depends on the pharmaceutical and disease.
Dialysis, oxygen & chemotherapy
- Your EHIC covers the provision of renal dialysis and chemotherapy in Lithuania.
- In order to get such services you should arrange and pre-book the necessary medical treatment before you go.
How to apply
- No information available for Lithuania
List of doctors or hospitals
- Information about healthcare institutions that have a contract with the regional health insurance funds, are available on their websites:
Loss of card
Contacts for holders of EHICs issued in Lithuania
Valstybinė ligonių kasa - VLK (National Health Insurance Fund))
Tel: +370 5 236 41 00
Vilniaus teritorinė ligonių kasa (Vilnius Regional Health Insurance Fund)
Tel: +370 5 2661364
Kauno teritorinė ligonių kasa (Kaunas Regional Health Insurance Fund)
Tel: +370 37 300578
Klaipėdos teritorinė ligonių kasa (Klaipėda Regional Health Insurance Fund)
Tel: +370 46 380473
Šiaulių teritorinė ligonių kasa (Šiauliai Regional Health Insurance Fund)
Tel: +370 41 520346
Panevėžio teritorinė ligonių kasa (Panevėžys Regional Health Insurance Fund)
Tel: +370 45 596192