Unforeseen medical treatment
Call 03 or 112
Valstybinė ligonių kasa - VLK (National Health Insurance Fund)
Tel: +370 5 236 41 00
Information about healthcare available for European Health Insurance Card holders in Lithuania
Treatment & costs
- To take advantage of your European Health Insurance Card, you must consult a doctor who works at a healthcare institution that has an agreement with one of the regional health insurance funds.
- Treatment is free of charge if you show your European Health Insurance Card and passport.
- Dental care is free of charge if you consult a dentist who works with one of the territorial health insurance funds.
- You will be charged for any materials used, e.g. fillings.
- Around 80% of the dentists in Lithuania have a private practice, meaning that charges for their services will not be reimbursed.
- You can visit the accident and emergency department of any hospital in Lithuania. Show your European Health Insurance Card and your passport on admission.
- In all other cases, you will need a doctor's referral. If you seek non-emergency hospital treatment without a referral, you will have to pay the full cost.
- Ambulance transport is free of charge.
- No information available.
You will only be charged for your share of the treatment costs. These amounts are not refundable in Lithuania.
If you have had to pay for care, you should contact your national health insurance provider when you return home to seek reimbursement.