Unforeseen medical treatment
Nacionālais veselības dienests (National Health Service)
Tel: +371 67043700
Treatment & costs
- You will be charged a standard fee for seeing a doctor. Children under 18 and pregnant women receiving treatment relating to their pregnancy are not charged.
- If you need to see a specialist, you will need a referral from a doctor, usually your general practitioner.
- You do not need a referral to see a gynaecologist, an ophthalmologist, a children's surgeon, a pediatrician, a psychiatrist, an addiction specialist, a phthisiopneumonologist, a dermatovenerologist, an endocrinologist, an oncologist if you are suffering from certain diseases.
- The standard fee is non-refundable in Latvia, but you can always seek reimbursement once you return home.
- Dental treatment is not covered, except for children up to 18 years old, who receive free treatment.
- No patient fees are due for emergency or intensive care, for children under 18, for cases related to pregnancy and childbirth, or for dialysis and some other specific treatments.
- There is a fee for inpatient treatment (treatment provided during a hospital stay) with a referral from a doctor. Additional charges apply for diagnostic examinations. This is non-refundable in Latvia, but you can always seek reimbursement once you return home.
- Medicines are partly covered if prescribed by a doctor. The amounts that you must pay are non refundable in Latvia, but you can always seek reimbursement once you return home.
- Ambulance services are free of charge if sent by the 113 service.
- Same rules as for ambulance.
Latvia does not operate a reimbursement system. You should only be charged the amount of your own contribution.
If the healthcare provider does not have a contract with the National Health Service or you cannot use your European Health Insurance Card, you will be charged as a private patient. These charges are not refundable in Latvia.
If you have had to pay for care, contact your national health insurance provider once you return home to seek reimbursement.