Unforeseen medical treatment
Orszagos Egeszsegbiztositasi Penztar
(Hungarian National Health Insurance Fund)
Tel: +36 1 350 1618
Treatment & costs
To take advantage of your European Health Insurance Card, you must consult healthcare professionals contracted to the national Health Insurance Fund, Orszagos Egeszsegbiztositasi Penztar (OEP). They bear the indication: “A társadalombiztosítás egészségügyi szolgáltatásaira szerződött szolgáltató” (a contracted social security health service).
- To take advantage of your European Health Insurance Card, you must consult a doctor contracted to the national health insurance fund Orszagos Egeszsegbiztositasi Penztar (OEP). Consultations are free of charge.
- To consult a specialist, you will need a doctor's referral.
- To take advantage of your European Health Insurance Card you must consult a dentist who is contracted to the national health insurance fund OEP.
- OEP dentists can provide the following free of charge where medically necessary:
- emergency care
- some treatments provided on the basis of specialist’s referral
- certain treatments to preserve teeth
- dental surgery
- treatment of gum disease.
- For all other dental treatments, there will be a charge, except for persons under 18 or over 60 and pregnant women until the 90th day after childbirth.
- Before treatment, read the information on display at the healthcare service provider or enquire by phone about the fees they apply (information can sometimes be available in other languages than Hungarian, but this is not a legal obligation).
- The cost of materials is generally borne by the patient.
- You need a referral from a doctor, except in case of emergency.
- Hospital treatment is generally free of charge in hospitals which have a contract with the national health insurance fund OEP.
- There will be an additional charge of up to HUF 100,000 (as of June 2012) if you:
- do not have a doctor's referral for the hospital treatment
- choose a healthcare provider other than the one specified in the
- choose to be treated by a doctor who is not on duty.
- These charges are non-refundable in Hungary, but you can always seek reimbursement once you return home.
- Hospitals apply additional charges for extra services, such as premium accommodation or special meals.
- A fee is charged for prescribed medicines.
- Depending on the medication, you may either be charged a reduced fee or have to pay the full price. This is non-refundable in Hungary, but you can always seek reimbursement once you return home.
- Ambulance service is free of charge.
- No information available.
There are no reimbursements in Hungary, because you are only charged the proportion of your healthcare costs for which there is no refund.
If you have had to pay for care, contact your national health insurance provider once you return home to seek reimbursement.