Medical treatment abroad
Call 104 or 112
Orszagos Egeszsegbiztositasi Penztar (Hungarian National Health Insurance Fund)
Tel: +36 1 350 1618
Treatment & costs
- You should consult a dentist who has a contract with Orszagos Egeszsegbiztositasi Penztar (OEP).
- The following dental treatments are available at dentists contracted with the Orszagos Egeszsegbiztositasi Penztar (OEP) free of charge in case of medical necessity:
- emergency care
- some treatments provided on the basis of specialist’s referral
- certain tooth preserving treatments
- dental surgery treatment
- gum diseases
- For all other dental treatments there will be a charge, except for people under 18 or over 60 years of age, and in case of pregnancy and childbirth.
- Before the treatment, read the information on display at the health care service provider or enquire by phone about the fees they apply.
- The costs of materials are generally at the patient's charge.
- You need a referral from a doctor, except in case of emergency.
- Hospital treatment is generally free of charge in hospitals which have a contract with the Orszagos Egeszsegbiztositasi Penztar (OEP).
- There will be an additional charge up to 100.000 HUF if:
- you do not have a doctor's referral for the hospital treatment,
- you choose a healthcare provider other than the one specified in the
- referral, or
- you choose to be treated by a doctor who is not on duty at the time of the
- These charges are non-refundable in Hungary but you may be able to seek reimbursement when you are back home.
- Hospitals apply additional charges for extra services such as extra accommodation or special meals.
- A fee is charged for prescribed medicines.
- Depending on the medication you may either be charged a reduced fee or have to pay the full price. This is non-refundable in Hungary but you may be able to seek reimbursement when you are back home.
- Ambulance is free of charge.
- No information available.
There are no reimbursements in Hungary, as you are only charged the proportion of your healthcare costs for which there is no refund.
If you have had to pay for the cost of your care, you should contact your national health insurance provider when you return home to claim a reimbursement.