Navigation path

Unforeseen medical treatment - Czech Republic


Centrum mezistatnich uhrad (CMU)
(Centre for International Reimbursements)
Tel: +420 236 033 411

Treatment, coverage & costs


  • To take advantage of your European Health Insurance Card, you must consult a doctor who has a contract with one of the Czech health insurance funds.
  • Doctors will ask you to sign a "Potvrzeni o naroku" (certificate of entitlement), which they use to bill your treatment to the Czech public health insurance fund.
  • If you need prescription medicines, laboratory tests or other examinations, the doctor will give you copies of the "Potvrzeni o naroku". You will have to show a copy at the pharmacy or to the healthcare provider in charge of your treatment.
  • If you are staying in the Czech Republic for an extended period, you can register with one of the Czech health insurance funds, which will issue you a "Potvrzeni o registraci" (certificate of registration) valid for the length of your stay. You must present this document whenever you seek treatment or have a prescription filled.


  • Standard dental care is covered by the public health insurance system.
  • However, charges are due for certain extra dental treatment and materials, for which you will usually have to pay at least part of the cost.

Hospital treatment


  • You must pay part or all of the cost of any medicine that is not fully covered by the public health insurance system.


  • Ambulance service is free.

Air ambulance

  • Air ambulance service is free.


  • Generally, you should not be charged anything other than the standard patient fees.
  • You cannot request reimbursement in the Czech Republic.
  • If you have had to pay for care, contact your national health insurance fund once you return home to seek reimbursement.


There is a regulation charge of CZK 90 for emergency care provided by the first aid medical service, including first aid medical service provided by dentists.

Dialysis, oxygen & chemotherapy

  • If you know you will need to get dialysis, oxygen therapy or chemotherapy during your stay in the Czech Republic, it is advisable to contact a healthcare provider before your arrival.
  • As a general rule, there are no other requirements. In order to get more information, it is advisable to contact a Czech public health insurance fund beforehand.

Loss of card

Contacts for holders of EHICs issued in the Czech Republic

Centrum mezistatnich uhrad (CMU)

Tel: +420 236 033 411



  • Tweet it Share on Facebook Share on google+