How to use the card
- Czech Republic
Health Insurance Bureau
(Kancelář zdravotního pojištění)
Tel: +420 236 033 411
Treatment, coverage & costs
- You can only use the EHIC card with a doctor who has a contract with a Czech health insurance fund - zdravotní pojišťovna (most do, though there are non-contracted doctors in tourist areas).
- The doctor will ask you to sign a certificate of entitlement (Potvrzeni o naroku), so your treatment can be charged to the Czech public health insurance fund.
- The doctor will give you a copy of this certificate, to show whenever you need any treatment, tests or prescription medication.
- Staying for longer?
- You can register with a Czech health insurance funds and receive a certificate of registration (Potvrzeni o registraci), valid for the length of your stay.
- Show this document whenever you have treatment or have a prescription filled.
- Standard care is free
- Non-standard treatment/materials such as composite fillings or prosthetics – you may have to pay a fee.
- If your medicine is not covered by the public health insurance system, you must pay some or all of the cost.
- Ambulances are free – if you show your EHIC.
- If not, you will have to pay, and claim it back later from the provider using your EHIC.
- Mountain rescue is not covered by public health insurance.
- You should not have to pay anything other than standard patient fees payable by residents of the Czech Republic.
- You cannot ask for reimbursement in the Czech Republic.
- If you have paid for care, contact your national health insurance fund for reimbursement when you get home.
- There is a standard charge of CZK 90 for emergency medical services, including emergency dental services.
- Various patient contributions are applicable for drugs.
Dialysis, oxygen & chemotherapy
- If you know you will need any of these treatments while in the Czech Republic, contact a Czech healthcare provider (doctor, hospital, etc.) before you travel.
- For more information, contact a Czech public health insurance fund before you travel.
How do I apply for an EHIC?
The EHIC is issued automatically for all insured persons. There is no need to apply for it.
Doctors & hospitals accepting the EHIC
National register of healthcare providers – Národní registr poskytovatelů zdravotních služeb (in Czech only)
Loss of card
Contacts for holders of EHICs issued in the Czech Republic
Kancelář zdravotního pojištění
Tel: +420 236 033 411