Unforeseen medical treatment
Note: The European Health Insurance Card is NOT valid in the northern part of Cyprus ("Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus"). You are strongly advised to take out private health insurance before travelling to this part of the country.
Ministry of Health
Tel: +357 22 605300
Treatment & costs
- Using your European Health Insurance Card, you can get treatment from doctors practising in state healthcare centres. You will be charged a small standard fee per visit.
- Using your European Health Insurance Card, you can get treatment from dentists practising in state healthcare centres. You will be charged a small standard fee per visit.
- You can get inpatient treatment only if a state doctor refers you to a hospital or if you are admitted through the accident and emergency department of a state hospital.
- Medicine is free if the prescription is issued by a state doctor. You must have your prescription filled in a state pharmacy or you will be charged.
- Ambulance travel is free if you show your European Health Insurance Card.
- Your European Health Insurance Card does not cover transport by air ambulance. Any charges are not refundable.
There are no reimbursements. You will only be charged your share of the costs.
If you have had to pay for care, contact your national health insurance provider once you return home to seek reimbursement.