Unforeseen medical treatment
Национална здравноосигурителна каса
(National Health Insurance Fund)
Tel: +359 2 965 9116
Tel Hotline: 0800 14 800
Treatment & costs
- Most doctors in Bulgaria are contracted by the National Health Insurance Fund (NHIF), meaning that they should treat you upon presentation of your European Health Insurance Card. You will be charged a consultation fee amounting BGN 2.90.
- Most dental services are not covered. If the dentist does not have a contract with the NHIF, you will be charged the full cost of the treatment, which is non refundable.
- Hospital treatment in contracted by NHIF clinics or hospitals is free of charge if you present your European Health Insurance Card. You will have to pay a standard daily fee (BGN 5.80) for the first 10 days of hospitalisation. After being discharged you are entitled to two additional check-ups as part of your inpatient treatment (treatment provided during a hospital stay).
- Medicine prescribed to you by a NHIF contracted doctor, may be available at fully or partially subsidised prices at NHIF-contracted pharmacies. Such Pharmacies have a NHIF Logo visible inside or outside the premises.
- To get NHIF coverage for some particularly expensive medicines, for example in case of chronic illnesses, you will need a "prescription booklet". This can be arranged through a general practitioner (GP) contracted by NHIF, upon consultation with a specialist. For this purpose you will have to make provisional choice of a GP.
- Free of charge in emergencies.
- The consultation fee is non-refundable in Bulgaria.
- If the dentist does not have a contract with the National Health Insurance Fund (NHIF), you will be charged the full cost of treatment, which is non refundable.
- The cost of medication is non-refundable in Bulgaria.
- If you have had to pay for care, contact your national health insurance provider once you return home to seek reimbursement.