Unforeseen medical treatment
(Estonian Health Insurance Fund)
Tel: +372 669 6630
Tel: 16363 (national number)
Treatment & costs
- There is no fee when consulting a general practitioner.
- You must pay a fee for specialised medical care (for example cardiologist, psychiatrist, gynaecologist etc.).
- You must pay the full cost of any treatment you receive from a dentist.
- Children under 19 are eligible for free dental treatment.
There is a standard daily inpatient fee for up to 10 days per hospitalisation. There is no inpatient fee for:
- children below the age of 19
- cases related to pregnancy and childbirth
- intensive care.
- Different discount rates are applied, depending on the diagnosis, the medication, the patient's age, etc.
- If the medication is not on the national list of medicinal products, you will have to pay the full cost. These charges are non-refundable in Estonia, but you can always seek reimbursement once you return home.
- Ambulance travel is free in an emergency.
- No information available.
There are no reimbursements in Estonia. You will only be charged your share of the costs.
If you have had to pay for care, contact your national health insurance provider once you return home to seek reimbursement.