Safety and security
In its White Paper Roadmap to a single European transport Area (2011), the European Commission sets an ambitious target in terms of safety and security of the maritime transport: "EU should be a world leader in safety and security". In order to achieve those ambitions, research efforts play a central role.
- Safer vessels, through:
- Improved design based on integrated risk analysis
- Crashworthy vessel design
- Risk-based approaches to situations of fire, grounding, etc.
- Design of vessels for operations under extreme conditions
- Safety of ships in operation, through:
- ICT-based operation procedures
- Development of integrated Decision Support Systems
- Safety support systems for seafarers and navigation systems
- Rescue operations and appliances
- Inspection and maintenance
- Development of robotic solutions for improved inspections
- Secure vessels