Wide-Scale Network of e-systems for Multimodal Journey Planning and Delivery of Trip-Intelligent Personalised Data
State of the Art - Background
The research and commercial journey planners currently provide adequate services at regional or national level. However, the combination of multisource and multilevel information (urban and long distance) on a wider scale and the delivery of dynamic personalised information during the whole trip process have not yet been addressed. Complexity increases when transport network system boundaries have to be crossed. Connecting routes into a single path comprising destinations, transit stations and different types of transport modes remains a problem to be solved.
Existing journey planners can become active subsystems of a 'global' journey planner system. Such a system can additionally take care of the final stage of information processing which is necessary in order to achieve highly personalised information delivery and adapt it to multiple presentation means. From the user's point of view, a person who wants to travel across regions or nations currently needs to combine different answers from different journey planning systems which might be unknown. Against this background a new system could become the one-stop-shop for journey planning on a wider scale. To become global, the system should be open and incorporate well-specified interfaces so that journey planners can connect and function as active components that enable expansion to new cities, regions or nations.
WISETRIP aims to develop and validate an innovative mobility service platform, which provides and personalises multi-modal travel information sourced from connected variant journey planners and accessible by travellers at anytime and anywhere through various mobile or fixed terminals/devices before and during a journey. The objectives of the project include:
1. Definition of user scenarios and system architecture;
2. Clear and precise interconnection guidelines for journey planner systems to co-operate within WISETRIP;
3. Timely delivery of a system, based upon a) the functional integration of the journey planners and b) the enhanced personalised functions according to the trip life-cycle model needs;
4. Efficient and continuous dissemination; interaction with external users group comprising of members representing variant types of organisations and expertise related to transport operations and technologies;
5. A thorough assessment analysis of the project results, that should lead to and confirm acceptable functional level and performance;
6. Broad use of WISETRIP services during demonstrations, involving a wide audience of users and testers;
7. An analysis of alternative exploitation models towards sustainability of the system, showing evidence of a clear path for WISETRIP existence and operation after the end of the project.
Description of Work
WISETRIP is the formation of journeys, complex routing and scheduling decisions that involve the determination of entire itineraries, thus optimising the user's travelling criteria while complying with time scheduling constraints. Moreover, users are expecting instant information which requires increasing system complexity. WISETRIP will make a fundamental contribution through the personalisation engine based on multiple personal criteria, either defined before the trip or based on real-time data and events.
The WISETRIP work plan involves:
a. Definition of the user and system requirements and design of the architecture of the WISETRIP system;
b. Development of the core journey-planning platform, its interfaces with the participating journey planners and implementation of the necessary adaptation for each journey planner;
c. Development of a trip life-cycle model, and a location and preferences-based ruled mechanism for provision of real-time personalised information;
d. Development of the user interfaces necessary for the provision of the services at multiple types of fixed or mobile devices;
e. Integration of the above modules, execution of lab experiments and real-life trials to measure the system performance, both qualitatively and quantitatively;
f. Dissemination and evaluation of the project's results and definition of the exploitation strategy and planning.
WISETRIP will deliver a user-centric service platform which provides journey-planner services in order to co-operate creatively and form complex answers, producing real-time personalised information at crucial points of the trip process. The resulting service will reduce unnecessary delays in the trip and will provide continuous availability of high quality, reliable, integrated information at any place and any moment during the trip, allowing the readjustment and optimisation of the scheduling of transport and related activities through the availability and utilisation of real-time information.
Milestones and main results of the project include:
1. Adaptation guidelines and interfaces in order for any journey planner to participate in the WISETRIP system;
2. Delivery of unified multimodal trip solutions and dynamic information services with enhanced personalised features over multiple end-user devices;
3. Evaluation analysis referring to the assessment of the technical performance of the WISETRIP system, and the end user's acceptance and cost-effectiveness estimation. To this end WISETRIP services will be demonstrated in four EU Member States and China, involving a wide audience of users and testers.
4. A clear path for the existence and operation of WISETRIP beyond the end of the project, ensuring the optimum commercial exploitation and utilisation of the project results.
- Related Info
- Acronym: WISETRIP
- Name of proposal: Wide-Scale Network of e-systems for Multimodal Journey Planning and Delivery of Trip-Intelligent Personalised Data
- Contract number: 213233
- Instrument: CP - FP
- Total cost: 2 115 388 €
- EU contribution: 1 437 700 €
- Call: FP7-TPT-2007-RTD-1
- Starting date: 01/02/2008
- Ending date: 31/07/2010
- Duration: 30 months
- Activity code 2: Horizontal Activities for Implementation of The Transport Programme (TPT)
- Coordinator: Mr. Spitadakis VassilisHellenic Telecommunications and Telematics Applications CompanyScience and Technology Park of CreteVassilikia Vouton, R&DGR 71003 Heraklion
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Tel: +30 (0)2810 391200
- Fax: +30 (0)2810 391207
- Athens University of Economics and Business Research Center GR
- ATHENS UNIVERSITY OF ECONOMICS AND BUSINESS - RESEARCH CENTER EL
- ETRA Investigación y Desarrollo S.A. ES
- Mobisoft Oy FI
- The University Court of the University of Aberdeen UK
- Ataf SpA IT
- Memex srl IT
- Beratung und Planung im Verkehrswesen GmbH DE
- Angus Transport Forum UK
- Destia Oy FI
- Hangzhou City Transportation Research Centre CN
- Yong Ling Electronics Ltd CN