Realizing Enhanced Safety and Efficiency in European Road Transport
POMEROL intends to develop high-powered, low-cost and intrinsically safe lithium-ion batteries by using a breakthrough in materials. The materials and batteries will be used for fuel-cell hybrid and conventional hybrid drivetrain automotive applications.
The technology to be addressed in POMEROL is on Li-ion batteries for hybrid vehicles, primarily for fuel-cell hybrid vehicles (FCHEV). Several years of intensive worldwide R&D efforts have been dedicated to solving the problems of lithium metal cycling efficiency in rechargeable lithium batteries. In the early 1990s, metallic lithium was replaced by a carbon anode able to form intercalation compounds, so-called Li-ion. The potential use of this battery technology for the ICE-HEV automotive applications and fuel cells under development is clearly a highly important issue and is responsible for a major part of the size, weight and cost challenges facing all organisations in the attempt to reach a true market position for these applications.
With an adequate choice of materials, a very long life cycle can be achieved. However, cost, abuse tolerance and power remain major issues for the technology development in hybrid drivetrains.
The challenging objective is to develop new materials, which will greatly reduce the cost of high-power lithium-ion batteries to €25/kW, one of the very critical issues for a widespread development of this technology for fuel-cell hybrids. This objective will be achieved, along with two others, to provide a high-power battery with a long life and an intrinsically safe electrochemistry. Technical and cost specifications are targeted for the battery, the cell and each new material to be developed in order to reach these goals.
POMEROL will provide a technological breakthrough ahead of the state of the art for adapted materials for Li-ion batteries in the following required domains:
- low cost, high-power materials for positive and negative electrodes
- highly stable positive electrode materials with adequate power levels
- stable non-reactive electrolytes.
Description of work
We propose innovative solutions through the development of speciality materials (LiFePO4, lithiated metal fluorinated oxides, non-flammable ionic liquid-based electrolytes and high-performance graphitised carbons), which will respond to the very ambitious challenge of adequate low cost, safety and life. POMEROL combines the complementary skills of seven industrial partners and specialised subcontractors, all having proven expertise in the research, development and production of materials and batteries. Having automotive end-users, material suppliers and a battery maker in the Consortium will allow for a rapid validation of the results, saving time and resources.
The aim of POMEROL is to develop high-power Li-ion batteries as core breakthrough technology for hydrogen, fuel cell hybrid systems and ICE-HEV for automotive applications.
The deliverables of the project include deliveries of the new materials scaled-up during the contract, the design of clean and efficient processes to use these materials inside Li-ion batteries, the assembly and test of Li-ion cells/modules using these new products.
The work will contribute to EC priorities through beneficial effects on the cost, environment (reduced fuel consumption and exhaust emissions of urban transport) and more efficient energy use and storage thanks to high efficiency batteries.
When successful the batteries developed in Pomerol will contribute to Li-ion batteries being increasingly recognised as a generic clean battery technology that will apply to all fields of energy storage including:
- automotive applications, as the main target, with the aim to achieve fuel savings >25% over the next 10 years. Emissions of CO2/pollutants will be reduced accordingly.
- a large number of standby and stationary applications including association to renewable energy based power systems (DER and RES).
- LEO or GEO satellites.
- portable applications, where it has become the reference technology
- Related Info
- Acronym: POMEROL
- Name of proposal: Realizing Enhanced Safety and Efficiency in European Road Transport
- Contract number: TST4-CT-2005-019351
- Instrument: STP
- Total cost: 4,863,845 €
- EU contribution: 2,470,953 €
- Call: HYDROGEN - 1
- Starting date: 01/12/2005
- Ending date: 30/11/2008
- Duration: 36 months
- Sector: Road
- Objective: New Technologies and Concepts for all Surface Transport Modes (Road, Rail and Waterborne)
- Research domain: Development of zero or near-zero emission propulsion (Hydrogen, fuel cells, electric vehicles)
- Coordinator: Dr Biensan Philippe Saft S.A. 111 Boulevard A. Daney FR 33074 Bordeaux
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel: +33 (0)5 57 10 68 90
- Fax: +33 (0)5 57 10 68 77
- Commissariat à l'Energie Atomique FR
- DaimlerChrysler AG DE
- Merck KGaA DE
- TIMCAL Ltd. CH
- UMICORE BE
- Volkswagen AG DE