MEthodology for Framework programmes' Impact aSsessment in TranspOrt
State of the Art - Background
The European Commission has, for some years, supported research and technology development for different modes of transport in order to improve European transport capabilities.
MEFISTO is supporting the EC by performing an impact analysis which relies on a comprehensive set of data and personal feedback from European actors in aeronautics research.
The impact analysis is concentrating on the aeronautical transport sector. The methodology will be validated by feedback from the aeronautical sector, but should be so general that it can be used and subsequently transferred to other transport sectors.
The prime objectives of MEFISTO are:
- to provide a methodology for assessing the impact of the Fifth and Sixth Framework Programmes (FP5 and 6) in the transport domain;
- to provide expert impact assessment by applying the methodology to air transport and aeronautics research and technology development (RTD) of FP5 and FP6, covering both the support activities of DG Research and DG Transport;
- to provide a validated methodology for impact assessment of EU support to other transport modes and to make recommendations for FP7.
As part of the proposed MEFISTO methodology, the effects of collaborative research sponsored by the Commission will be classified in three categories:
- a driving effect;
- a structuring effect;
- a leverage effect.
The expert impact will address three parameters:
- the impact on the industrial competitiveness;
- the impact on sustainable development and societal issues;
- the impact on community policy and public services.
The MEFISTO team will work closely with the ACARE initiatives on the technical and institutional observation platforms.
Description of Work
The MEFISTO team will provisionally select a number of subjects that will need assessment and input them for the draft matrices. Next a group of stakeholders, drawn from within and outside the aviation community, will be invited to a workshop to verify and decide on the final subjects for assessment. These subjects will be discussed and adjusted, and impact indicators will be examined and agreed upon. Based on these decisions, the MEFISTO team will prepare a questionnaire guide that will be used to obtain the opinion of the many different stakeholders, individuals and agencies involved in the air transport research activities, or on their impact upon other people and activities.
The analysis of the questionnaires will be backed up by a large number of interviews (over 50) for better analysis and conclusion on the questionnaire feedback.
These results will be assessed and an initial report prepared. This report will be discussed in a second workshop to verify that all essential elements are well covered. A final report will then be prepared containing all the findings on the impact assessment on air transport and RTD.
The conclusions will be discussed along with the other transport modes in a dissemination workshop. A dissemination report will summarise the conclusions and provide the recommendations for future actions.
Two workshops with major stakeholders will be held to discuss the methodology of impact assessment and to agree on the findings from the project work.
The European Commission will be kept closely informed and a quarterly review will consider the status of work and what has been achieved.
The main outputs are:
- a draft report, expecting feedback from all stakeholders including European Commission services;
- a final report presenting the conclusions;
- a website;
- a dissemination report from a common dissemination event (five different assessment reports).
- Related Info
- Acronym: MEFISTO
- Name of proposal: MEthodology for Framework programmes' Impact aSsessment in TranspOrt
- Contract number: 211723
- Instrument: CSA - SA
- Total cost: 395 939 €
- EU contribution: 395 939 €
- Call: FP7-TPT-2007-RTD-1
- Starting date: 01/06/2008
- Ending date: 28/02/2010
- Duration: 21 months
- Activity code 2: Horizontal Activities for Implementation of The Transport Programme (TPT)
- Coordinator: Ms. Favier PeggyL - UP SASAvenue de Friedland 32FR 75008 Paris
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel: +33 (0)6 75 64 10 78
- Fax: +33 (0)1 40 68 35 88
- AD Cuenta B.V. NL
- Aerospace and Defence Industries Association of Europe BE
- Dziomba Aeronautical Consulting DE
- Schmitt Dieter Georg FR
- Netherlands Agency for Aerospace Programmes NL
- Wytwórnia Sprzętu Komunikacyjnego PZL - Rzeszów S.A. PL
- Trevor Truman UK