From Electric Cabling Plans to Simulation Help
The industrialisation of an aircraft electrical harness relies almost entirely on manual methods. When changes are needed, wiring diagrams have to be checked manually and a new harness design process has to be started to integrate modifications. CAD (Computer Aided Design) exchanges are also very difficult in this field (due to hardware/software incompatibilities).To assess electric harness behaviour, simulation is very rarely used and existing symbol recognition methods are not satisfactory. FRESH proposes to design a specific and innovative recognition methodology to lead to an automatically generated system.
- To convert electric wiring plans into Computer Aided Design wiring diagram language
- To translate CAD-generated wiring language into a universal language
- To adapt and improve available software to transfer wiring diagrams (in a universal language) into electrical harnesses
- To simulate electrical harnesses’ physical behaviour, and benefit from simulation verification and optimisation capabilities.
And as a consequence:
- Reduce electrical harness development costs
- Produce an error-free intervention level
- Reduce harness modification, maintenance and overhauling costs.
Description of the work
FRESH comprises seven major Work Packages, without counting Work Package 0, which deals with management.
Work Package 1 deals with specification (selection of an example of a paper-wiring diagram as a basis of the research, ergonomic standards for targeted harness geographical plans and envelope boundaries of wiring and harness simulations).
Work Package 2 addresses wiring diagram recognition (methodology for recognition).
Work Package 3 deals with the conversion of paper or CAD wiring diagrams into a universal language (PIVOT).
Work Package 4 deals with harness numerical geometric plans (to adapt and improve freeware to transfer wiring diagrams into electrical harness).
Work Package 5 addresses wiring and harness simulation (by research on the algorithms and models to simulate the diagrams in a factual way).
Work Package 6 deals with the global automation system prototyping (a validated, fully automatic process for harness optimisation and smart maintenance).
Work Package 7 deals with dissemination and exploitation (to give general awareness on project results and to prepare the future industrial exploitation of project results).
The project will yield:
- An automated system to recognise paper electrical wiring diagrams and to convert them into reconstructed numerical wiring information.
- Dedicated modules to convert the reconstructed wiring information into a language understandable by classical tools to generate the harness.
- A system to design, through computing, the geometric plan of the harness.
- A smart electrical harness simulation system to check the electrical validity of the wiring diagrams and harness.
- Related Info
- Acronym: FRESH
- Contract No.: AST4-CT-2005-516059
- Instrument: Specific Targeted Research Project
- Total Cost: €2 829 234
- EU Contribution: €1 854 135
- Starting date: 01/11/2004
- Duration: 36 months
Tel: +33 5 59 01 59 60
Fax: +33 5 59 01 59 69
- EC officer :
Tel: +32 2 295 2503
Fax: +32 2 296 6757
- Ecole Nationale Supérieure des Technologies Industrielles Avancées (ESTIA) FR
- Institut National Polytechnique de Lorraine FR
- Algo’Tech Informatique S.A. FR
- Centro de Estudios e Investigaciones Técnicas de Gipuzkoa (CEIT) ES
- Przedsi_biorstwo Techniczno-Handlowe "RECTOR" S.J. PL
- ZENON S.A. Robotics & Informatics GR
- tekever lda PT
- EADS Sogerma Drawings FR
- Euro Inter Toulouse FR