European Low Emission Combustion Technology in Aero Engines
European companies are joining their research capabilities to promote the develop-ment of viable low emission combustion systems on a pre-competitive level.
The timescale for the development of aero-engine combustors is long but there is a clear vision and forecast of environmental needs. The ambitious ACARE targets, especially the demand for 80% reduction of NOx emissions from aviation, require very well focused and balanced RTD initiatives for the near future, to prepare the technology for a successful implementation of a new generation of aero-engine combustors and, therefore, a highly integrated research strategy platform. ELECT-AE will provide the impetus to bring together the key engine manufacturers and research establishments to enable this. The development of a concerted research strategy involves many complex interactions, and the continuous improvement of the corresponding processes and perspectives will ultimately provide good coordination.
Description of the work
The CA ‘European Low Emission Combustion Technology in Aero-Engines’ is dedicated to the support of the implementation of the goals of Vision 2020, i.e. strengthening the competitiveness of the European jet engine manufacturers and minimising the environmental impact of civil aviation with regard to emissions, thus generating economical and ecological benefits for European society.
Actions designed to support the establishment of a pre-competitive research strategy in respect to actual measures and actions in the context of combustion technology for low emission of pollutants will be taken:
- Strategy on How-To-Do technology development
- Integration and strengthening of the European Research Area
- Enhancement of technology exploitation in Europe
- Dissemination of European research results and exchange of information
- Search and identification of appropriate SMEs and capable research partners in the EU and from new Member States.
The global result will be an improvement of the efficiency of research and further increase in the rate of progress and innovation in the field of low NOx aero-combustion in Europe.
- Related Info
- Acronym: ELECT - AE
- Contract No.: ACA4 - CT - 2005 – 012236
- Instrument: Coordination Action
- Total Cost: €1 492 003
- EU Contribution: €1 492 003
- Starting date: 01/01/2005
- Duration: 48 months
Rolls-Royce Deutschland Ltd. & Co KG: Combustor Aerothermal
& Fuel Preparation
15827 Blankenfelde - Dahlewitz / Berlin
Ralf von der Bank
Tel: +49 33708 61373
Fax: +49 33708 6511373
- EC officer :
Tel: +32 2 295 2503
Fax: +32 2 296 6757
- Alstom Power (UK) Ltd. UK
- AVIO S.p.A. IT
- MTU Aero Engines GmbH DE
- Rolls-Royce plc UK
- Rolls-Royce Deutschland Ltd. & Co. KG DE
- SNECMA FR
- Turbomeca S.A. FR
- Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt e.V. (DLR) DE
- Office National d’Etudes et de Recherches Aérospatiales (ONERA) FR