Airborne Separation Assistance System – Thematic Network 2
At the 11th Air Navigation Conference, the International Civil Aviation Organisation recommended that States support the cost-effective, early implementation of packages of ground and airborne ADS-B (Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcasting) applications (ASAS), noting the early achievable benefits from these new ATM applications. The provision and processing of surveillance information to flight crew by ASAS has the potential to affect all ATM stakeholders. The first ASAS-TN project (Fifth Framework Programme) produced an implementation strategy and the first steps towards ASAS applications, which are part of the first ADS-B package. TN2 will extend the scope of this work to include all ASAS applications and will produce annual reports on the state of affairs in all activities relating to ASAS. This information will be supplemented, disseminated and underpinned by focused discussions captured during five themed workshops held during the course of the project.
The main goal of the ASAS Thematic Network 2 (ASAS-TN2) is to accelerate the application of ASAS operations in European Airspace considering global applicability, in order to increase airspace capacity and safety.
The main project objective is to ease the transfer and comparison of information and results on ASAS research in order to improve the research strategy, in particular to making recommendations.
The following sub-objectives have been identified:
1. to facilitate the exchange of ideas, to provide a framework for discussion and to ease the dissemination of information
2. to provide a database of ASAS-related documents to support studies and projects
3. to facilitate coordination of ongoing RTD (Research and Technical Development) projects related to ASAS, and specifically between ground and airborne orientated projects
4. to facilitate consensus for standardisation and certification
5. to provide guidance and recommendations for future ASAS strategy including RTD, technical feasibility, validation and implementation
6. to present and discuss information and results with stakeholders.
Description of the work
The main ASAS Thematic Network 2 outputs consist of sharing the current knowledge on ASAS/ADS-B between all European stakeholders and in recommending future activities necessary to obtain operational use of ASAS applications.
Distributed air and ground responsibilities involve ground ATC sharing the responsibility for separation provision with aircraft suitably equipped to ensure their own separation from other aircraft, thereby reducing ground ATC workload and enhancing flight efficiency.
The ASAS-TN2 project is divided into four work packages:
- Work Package 0: ASAS-TN2 Mana–gement: Work Package 0 concerns the management of the Co-ordination Action.
- Work Package 1: ASAS-TN2 Workshops and Seminars: In Work Package 1, six events will be organised on ASAS topics for the RTD community but also for the ATM stakeholders.
- Work Package 2: ASAS-TN2 Internet and Document Repository: Work Package 2 ASAS/ADS-B related documents will be made publicly available
- Work Package 3: ASAS-TN2 ‘Tableau de Bord’ and Reports: Work Package 3 is focused on delivering a yearly status report on the progress towards the implementation of ASAS/ADS-B applications.
To reinforce co-operation on ASAS, it is proposed:
- to organise workshops on topics related to ASAS applications
- to organise a seminar to present RTD results on ASAS applications open to all stakeholders
- to maintain an ASAS repository where all the documents related to ASAS could be identified and downloaded
- to develop periodic reports on the status of standardisation, certification and implementation of ASAS applications.
The ATM Master Plan, the Eurocontrol CASCADE Programme, and, in the short term, the Sixth Framework Programme and TEN-T projects like C-ATM, NUP2+ and SEAP shall directly benefit from the shared information, the consensus obtained and the recommendations made.
- Related Info
- Acronym: ASAS-TN2
- Contract No.: ACA4-CT-2005-012213
- Instrument: Coordination Action
- Total Cost: €1 937 415
- EU Contribution: €1 937 415
- Starting date: 01/04/ 2005
- Duration: 36 months
Eurocontrol Experimental Centre
Centre de Bois des Bordes,
91222 Brétigny/Orge Cedex
Tel: +33 1 69 88 76 39
Fax: +33 1 69 88 73 33
- EC officer :
Tel: +32 2 298 6619
Fax: +32 2 296 6757
- Eurocontrol - European Organisation for the Safety of Air Navigation INT
- BAE SYSTEMS (Operations) Ltd. UK
- ENAV S.p.A. IT
- LUFTFARTSVERKET (Swedish Civil Aviation Administration) SE
- Stichting Nationaal Lucht- en Ruimtevaart Laboratorium (NLR) NL
- THALES ATM S.A. FR
- THALES Avionics S.A. FR