The EU Framework Programmes are proposed by the European Commission and adopted by the Council and the European Parliament, following a well-established co-decision procedure.
The broad objectives of the Seventh Framework Programme have been grouped into four categories: ‘Co-operation’, ‘Ideas’, ‘People’ and ‘Capacities’. Each of these categories is the subject of a ‘Specific Programme’. Under the Specific Programmes, the Commission’s Directorate-General for Research and Innovation is responsible for developing annual work programmes.
Input for the work programmes is delivered to the Commission in the first half of the year. The second half of the year is dedicated to finalising the programme.
The following bodies are consulted in the process of drafting:
- Programme Committee is comprised of representatives of Member States and Associated Countries, who contribute their own ideas and suggestions. It assists the Commission in managing its programmes.
- Transport Advisory Group is comprised of experts who provide support to European Commission services in the form of advice and annual input into the transport work programmes.
- Technology Platforms represent interest from industry and complement other consultations, without replacing them.
- DG Mobility & Transport
- DG Information Society and Media
- Our staff of policy officers