CONTENT - Issue n° 9 | 3rd Quarter 2007
The dual challenge posed by climate change and the transition to a post-carbon society calls for the increasing involvement of Social Sciences and Humanities (SSH).
Theme of this issue
- European Research Area (ERA)
The idea of a European Research Area (ERA) grew out of the realisation that research in Europe
suffers from three weaknesses: insufficient funding, lack of an environment to stimulate research
and exploit results, and the fragmented nature of activities and the dispersal of resources.
- ERA GREEN PAPER: Interview with Commissioner Potocnik for the SSH Newsletter
Why the renewed interest in the European Research Area?
Janez Potocnik: I decided to open a new debate on where we want to
go with the European Research Area because, put simply, Europe
cannot afford to wait any longer...
- CHALLENGE - The Changing Landscape of European Liberty and Security 4, 5 & 6 July 2007
A month after the June 2007 European Council reached consensus
on the 'Reform Treaty' and only a few days after new threats to
security were uncovered in the UK, CHALLENGE held its...
- Region building, National borders and EU enlargement
- Freedom in the age of globalised insecurity
- European Research Council (ERC) and the FP7 Ideas Programme.
- Science and Technology Foresight
- Conference - The Spirit of Europe - Plurality, Identities, Interdependencies. Leipzig 6 - 10 June 2007.
- EU Conference "Towards a post-carbon society - European research on economic drivers and social behavior", Brussels, 24 October 2007.
- REMSH 1 and 2 - Network of Excellence of research centers in human sciences in the Mediterranean area
- Transgen workshop (Gender aspects in transport research)
Work in Progress
- Research for the Benefit of Specific Groups - Civil Society Organisations (BSG-CSO)
- Work in Progress News Flash
News from projects
- CSR PLATFORM
- Past events
- Projects events
- Policy related (Portuguese Presidency)
- Other events
On-line Databases & Journals
- MISSOC: Social Protection in the EU Member States and the European Economic Area
- The Survey of Health, Ageing and Retirement in Europe (SHARE)
- The Nordic Medico-Statistical Committee (NOMESCO) and the Nordic Social-Statistical Committee (NOSOSCO): database on social protection and health care
- The Rocard Report on Science Education
- In memory of Emilio Fontela
Download PDF version (full text) [ 1 MB]