Navigation path

MAKING A POSITIVE DIFFERENCE

Improving noise reduction

The Silentwood project has developed sophisticated noise-reducing wall panels and doors. In addition to spurring growth and jobs in the doors/panels application sector, Silentwood will provide direct economic and health benefits to the EU.
Read more »

EuResist - Enhancing HIV treatment with more precise patient modeling

HIV is not curable but it is treatable, states Dr Francesca Incardona, CEO of EuResist Network GEIE and research area manager at Informa Srl, the SME responsible for coordinating the EuResist project.
Read more »

SILCO - Doing away with bacteria in water systems

The SILCO project has developed an innovative monitoring device that senses the elimination process of complex bacterial communities known as biofilm and unsafe bacteria from drinking water systems. The prototype successfully killed legionella bacteria at a natural source spa in Slovakia
Read more »

FIRELI - New hose equipment to increase safety of firemen

Every year, fires affect large areas of forest in Europe - mostly in the Mediterranean countries, where an average of around 500,000 hectares are destroyed annually. That is the equivalent of 50 times the land area of Paris. The economic cost is estimated at between €600 and €800 million per year.
Read more »

Smart irrigation technology set to reduce costs and save water

Due in large part to inefficient water irrigation systems, the agriculture industry wastes 60% of the water it uses each year, or 70% of the world's freshwater. WaterBee has developed a smart irrigation system to reduce this wastage, thereby saving money and increasing both crop quality and yield.
Read more »

NANORAY - A portable x-ray machine

X-ray technology has existed for more than 100 years, but in spite of repeated efforts no one has found a way of solving the problems involved in making X-ray machines portable. Now, thanks to an innovative European Union (EU) funded multinational research project, that breakthrough has at last been achieved.
Read more »

CleanHatch - New high-tech solution to clean fish hatcheries

Due to increased market pressure to produce high quality and low cost fish, the aquaculture industry has been forced to develop technologies that reduce the level of risk to investors yet maintain reliable production output.
Read more »

Let there be sight

Transplanting the human cornea (1) can enable a blind person to see. But it requires the perfect human donor match and there are no guarantees of success. A group of EU-funded SMEs and researchers, however, has developed an artificial cornea that offers failed transplant patients a potentially life-changing alternative.
Read more »

Space

The budget for Space research over the lifetime of FP7 is EUR 1.4 billion, which is a large increase on FP6. About 85% of the budget (EUR 1.2 billion) will go to the GMEs including dedicated space infrastructures, the remaining 15% will go towards strengthening space foundations and cross-cutting issues.

Objectives

The intention of the Space theme in FP7 is to support the European Space Programme by developing such applications as Global monitoring for environment and security (GMES) which will benefit citizens through technological spin-offs and help the competitiveness of the European space industry. GMES will be important in managing the consequences of natural disasters and climate change. The FP7 will contribute to the development of European space policy and complement research by Member States and by the European Space Agency (ESA).

The scope of Space research in FP7

Research during the lifetime of FP7 will focus on the following areas:

  • space-based applications serving European society;
  • exploration of space;
  • research and technological development for strengthening Space foundations.

Opportunities for SMEs

Space-based research focuses on new technological developments and it is a strategic industrial sector. There are many opportunities for SMEs that are important participants in the in the global commercial market of satellite manufacturing, launch service, satellite operations and downstream service providers. There are opportunities for SMEs within GMES activities including state-of-the art data processing, modelling, simulations and image analysis as well as in the areas of land management, urban planning, coastal environment and air quality. The GMES projects will actively integrate SMEs along the entire service chain. Feedback from FP6 showed that SMEs are particularly active in the space sector with up to 22% SME participation.

EU Space research websites:

http://ec.europa.eu./enterprise/space
http://www.gmes.info
http://cordis.europa.eu/fp7/calls/
ESA website

Helpdesk

For more information on the Space theme see pages on CORDIS.