Who are they?
When the Helsinki
Group on Women and Science first convened
in 1999, it rapidly became clear that more reliable
and timely information was needed to feed their policy
debates. To this end, each
member nominated a statistical
correspondent from an organisation concerned
with the collection of R&D data for their country,
and the resulting group met for the first time in
March 2001. There are now statistical correspondents
for all of the Helsinki Group countries.
The statistical correspondents are instrumental in providing national data on women
researchers and in ensuring that sound progress is made in exploring the interface between women and science. They also
keep the Commission informed about the availability of data from national sources and contribute to decision-making on
which data will be collected cross-nationally.
All the correspondents are
either based in their national statistical offices or in
national scientific Ministries, Centres, Institutes, Observatories,
Academies and Secretariats.
Dates of Statistical Correspondents
- Meeting 1 - 8 & 9 March 2001
- Meeting 2 - 12 October 2001
- Meeting 3 - 15 March 2002
- Meeting 4 - 21 October 2002
- Meeting 5 - 31 March 2003
- Meeting 6 - 10 October 2003
- Meeting 7 - 26 March 2004
- Meeting 8 - 22 October 2004
- Meeting 9 - 18 April 2005
- Meeting 10 - 28 October 2005
- Meeting 11 - 24 March 2006
- Meeting 12 - set to take place on 10 October 2006