the Flemish Science Center (Belgium)
Technopolis and the distribution of science center know
Technopolis organizes for the 3rd time the ECSITE-Technopolis
Science Center Academy. This is a 3 days seminar on how to set
up and run a science center. Throughout Europe, an important number
of new initiatives for science and technology centers are emerging.
Developing, setting up and running a science center is a complex
task. Science center experts from all over Europe are willing
to share their experiences with the key people in the new projects.
The ECSITE-Technopolis Science Center Academy deals with a variety
of topics linked to setting up a science center : mission statement,
finance, concept development, exhibition design, exhibition manufacturing,
marketing, communications, operations, ...
Each of the participating projects has the opportunity to give
a short presentation of the project and get consultancy from the
experts present for free.
Integrated science communication leading to a strong synergy
between the science center and its outreach projects. All of the
outreach projects are branded under the science center’s
Why does it work?
Thanks to an extensive integration:
- More efficient use of limited budgets dedicated to science
- Better definition and reaching of target groups.
- Better and long lasting relationship with the target group
- No overlap in initiatives
- Better marketing and branding of different projects = positioning
as a strong brand
- More impact
- Learning curve in science communication and build up of know
how in one place – center of expertise
- Structural approach with long term strategy in stead of ad
hoc approach with many small and scattered initiatives
- Becoming a stronger player in the community and a point of
reference for science communication
Examples of successful outreach projects realised by
For primary schools
- Science puppet theatre travelling to schools
- Science theatre travelling to schools
- Activity boxes with experiments for schools
- Travelling exhibits for school events
For secondary schools
- Science in the picture. 25 000 students in one week, 17 -18
years of age, participating in hands-on activities and workshops
at universities and scientific institutions.
- Experion science truck travelling through Flanders. Target
group 1st grade of secondary schools.
For the general public
- Science Festival. 20 000 visitors in one weekend.
- Weekly TV show recorded in Technopolis
- Weekly article in 2 newspapers in Flanders
To learn more: