The European Commission’s Group of Chief Scientific Advisors provides independent scientific advice to the College of European Commissioners to support their decision making.
The Group is supported by a secretariat with staff from the European Commission’s Directorate General for Research and Innovation and the Joint Research Centre.
The Group and its Secretariat works closely with the SAPEA (Scientific Advice for Policy by European Academies) consortium which consists of the 5 European Academy Networks Academia Europaea, ALLEA, EASAC, Euro-CASE and FEAM. SAPEA brings together the outstanding knowledge and expertise of Fellows from over 100 Academies and Learned Societies in over 40 countries across Europe, spanning the disciplines of engineering, humanities, medicine, natural sciences and social sciences.
Background to the Scientific Advice Mechanism
As announced by President Juncker on 13 May 2015, the European Commission has set up the EC Scientific Advice Mechanism ("SAM") through the EC Decision C(2015) 6946 .
This will contribute to the quality of EU legislation, in line with the Better Regulation agenda.
The Commission was assisted in selecting the experts by an independent Identification Committee. This was carried out in accordance with the SAM Identification Committee Terms of Reference and Statement of Methodology. Their activity report summarises the process and outcomes of the process.
The seven members proposed were appointed by Carlos Moedas, the Commissioner for Research, Innovation and Science, on 10 November 2015.
The core of SAM is the High Level Group of Scientific Advisors, composed of seven highly qualified, specialised, independent experts, appointed in their personal capacity and who act independently and in the public interest.
The Scientific Advice Mechanism will draw on the wide range of scientific expertise in Europe through a close relationship with national academies and other bodies.
- EU authorisation processes of Plant Protection Products 3.4 MB
- Novel carbon capture and utilisation technologies 1.3 MB
- Food from the Oceans 3.2 MB
- New techniques in agricultural biotechnology 2.3 MB
- Cybersecurity in the European Digital Single Market 1.6 MB
- Glyphosate 397 KB
- Light-duty vehicle real-drive CO2 emissions 1.5 MB
SAM Background Documents
- Decision setting up the High Level Group of Scientific Advisors
DE 190 KB | EN 181 KB | FR 183 KB
- C(2018)1919 of 5 April 2018 - Commission Decision amending Decision C(2015)6946
DE 126 KB | EN 158 KB | FR 122 KB
- Scientific Advice Mechanism - Main features 396 KB
- Guidelines – how SAM produces scientific advice 292 KB
- Strengthening Evidence Based Policy Making 282 KB
- Scientific advice for policy-makers in the EU 413 KB
Please contact us with any questions or comments you may have.