EUROLIVE is a European multi-centre clinical nutritional trial concerning the effect of a traditional Mediterranean antioxidant-rich food, olive oil, on oxidative stress and damage to lipids and DNA in humans. EUROLIVE also aims at studying the bioavailability and the binding of olive oil phenolics compounds to low-density lipoproteins. Our study will focus on whether a reasonable supplemental amount of refined (without phenolics), common (with low phenolic content) and extra virgin (with high phenolic content) olive oil would reduce lipid peroxidation and DNA oxidation in 180 humans from 3 European populations (Northern, Central and Southern), and whether there are differences on the effects according to the olive-oil phenolic concentration. The market prices of olive oil differs being refined and common olive oil cheaper than virgin olive oil.
- To compare the impact of olive oil, and antioxidant-rich foodstuff, on oxidative damage and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) fatty acid composition across selected European countries.
- To investigate the bioavailability of olive oil phenolic compounds in humans.
- To determinate the relation between olive oil ingestion and the binding of phenolic compounds to LDL.
- To explore differences among healthy men from different European areas in lipid peroxidation and fatty acid composition of LDL.
- To determine whether addition or substitution of monounsaturated fat results in better LDL fatty acid composition after three monts of olive oil administration in Central and Northern European participants.
Milestones; consortium agreement signature and meetings; common protocol and instruments to determine basal variables (non-laboratory data). Olive oil analyses. Bioavailability and clinical trials complexion. Laboratory measurements complexion. Common edited data base. Scientific manuscripts. Dissemination manuscript for European consumers. We expect to observe differences in the impact of olive oil consumption on oxidative damage across European areas and to deliver accurate recommendations for olive oil consumption.