The consumer is most of all interested to know the fruit flesh quality regardless of the good looking appearance of the product offered. Up to now, there has not been a consistent approach that theoretically or in practice could lead to a solution of the internal quality assessment problem. The Project gives a solution particularly applicable to potatoes, apples and peaches. The overall objective is to demonstrate a new NIR method for virtual (optical and mathematical) stripping of the skin and a photometric camera for implementation of the method. The camera allows to measure the fruit flesh spectrum without the object physical peeling, hence to predict precisely the internal quality: inside diseases and defects, degree of maturity, flavour etc.
The overall objective is to create a new technology for precise recognition of fruits and vegetables inside quality.
One of the objectives is to design and build a photometric camera for on-line sorting of mentioned products by their internal quality evaluation in real time. The camera will be investigated for the classification of potato tubers into categories according to their internal quality.
Another objective is to study apples and peaches and to demonstrate the applicability of the V-method with seeded and pitted fruits.
The expected results are:
- Affirmation of a novel V-method for nondestructive precise assessment of fruits and vegetables internal quality.
- A new NIR method for nondestructive measurement of the spectral transmittance of potatoes, apples and peaches fruit flesh.
- A photometric camera for sorting potatoes by means of the V-method, which can be operated independently or jointly with videocameras in on-line system. The simultaneous use of the two types of cameras could improve the overall - both external and internal - quality of the products being sorted, and it would extend the area of applicability of sorting systems.
- Proving the possibility of using the V-technology in NIR analysers and systems also for on-line sorting of apples and peaches.
- The new NIR-technology will have the potential for the usage in NIR analysers of the internal quality and on-line systems for sorting.