The European Capital of Innovation Award - iCapital
Could your city be the next European Capital of Innovation?
The third edition of the European Capital of Innovation award is open!
Carlos Moedas, Commissioner for Research Science and Innovation has launched the competition for the iCapital first prize of €1 000 000, which will go to the city that has most successfully experimented with new and innovative citizen-driven initiatives proving itself as a 'test-bed' for potential solutions to relevant societal challenges.
Is your city eligible to apply?
The contest is open to cities:
- which have over 100 000 inhabitants (in countries where there is no city with more than 100 000 inhabitants, the largest city is eligible to apply)
- from a EU Member State or a country associated to Horizon 2020, the EU's research and innovation programme.
Deadline for applications: 21 June 2017 at 17:00 Brussels time
Applicant cities will be judged on the innovative solutions to their relevant societal challenges, which they started after 1st January 2016. Cities will in particular have to prove how they created the local conditions to innovate by
- Experimenting innovative concepts, processes, tools, and governance models as a test-bed for innovation
- Engaging citizens in the innovation process and ensuring the uptake of their ideas
- Expanding the city's attractiveness to become a role model for other cities
- Empowering the local ecosystem through the implementation of innovative practices
The winners will be announced in November 2017. Three cash prizes will be awarded for the best city initiatives creating the right environment to innovate:
||€1 000 000|