TOPIC : Flight Information Exchange
|Publication date:||22 October 2015|
|Types of action:||SESAR-IA Innovation action|
|DeadlineModel: Opening date:||single-stage 29 October 2015||Deadline:||20 April 2016 17:00:00|
|Time Zone : (Brussels time)|
06 April 2016 18:17
When reference is made to “candidate members” in this call, this shall be understood as meaning “Members”.
17 March 2016 12:20
Please note that as a result of the accession of new members to the SESAR Joint undertaking, the list of eligible entities that can submit a proposal in response to the present call, restricted to the SJU Members, has been amended. Therefore the “Excel file (and its Guidance) of Technical Proposal Template for VLDs” is not valid any longer and have been removed.
16 March 2016 16:25
Please note that the call deadline has been extended to 20/04/2016.
Topic DescriptionSpecific Challenge:
Flight Information Exchange covers flight information exchange during the pre-tactical and tactical phases by ATC systems and Network Manager within Europe.
This project is an integral part of the SESAR Solutions delivery approach towards the SESAR deployment phase. The objective of this VLD is to bridge “industrial research” and “deployment” related to the PCP ATM Functionality 5 (as defined in Commission Implementing Regulation EU No 716/2014), and not to replace either type of activity.Scope:
Once awarded this VLD shall establish a limited set of connected SESAR high-technology demonstration platforms in relation to the “Enabling Aviation Infrastructure” key feature of the SESAR 2020 programme.
The main objective of this VLD during Wave 1 is to ensure that FO-IOP works in the real world upper En-Route airspace environment of several ACCs, thus demonstrating it is sufficiently reliable, meets performance expectations and supports the ACCs daily operational functions and procedures. This includes demonstrating the correct implementation of blue and yellow SWIM profiles. Furthermore it will be demonstrated that FO-IOP can be used without compatibility problems with other ATM functions, such as OLDI. This is a key deployment aspect, because FO-IOP and OLDI are expected to co-exist in operational service for a very long transition period.
The functional and geographical scope of this VLD are to demonstrate that FO-IOP works in upper airspace ACCs, supporting standard coordination and transfer functions during execution flight phase, based on SESAR1 P10.02.05 Technical Specification D55. This demonstration will address only G/G Interoperability between ATC.
This VLD shall use “Shadow Mode” and “Live Trials” techniques:
Shadow Mode shall demonstrate that FO-IOP equipped ACCs can process all live traffic information such as radar-data, flight plan data, aeronautical data, MET data etc., with sufficient performance and stability, but without direct impact on air traffic. Typically the shadow mode could be executed on an operational ATM system in test mission mode. The added value of the shadow mode is to allow performing real time validation operating in the real operational traffic scenarios.
Live Trial shall be executed in a real operational environment with a direct impact on air traffic. Hence it is necessary to include all safety and security related activities, to assure there will be no adverse impact on, or risk introduced to air traffic.
The following activities shall be performed:
Shadow Mode in upper airspace.
Preparation of Live Trials in upper airspace.
Completion of Live Trials in upper airspace.
This demonstration will assess the benefit of Flight Information Exchange to improve ATM Network performance; it will serve as Proof of Concept for this sub-functionality of AF#5 as defined in the PCP.
The Proof of Concept to be conducted under this VLD is a confidence building exercise that comes in addition to the traditional validation required prior to certification and implementation of new concepts or new technologies. This has to be distinguished from operational live trials since it brings a new dimension of the validation: early operations with a significant scale environment.
The Proof of Concept consists in an early operation of the SESAR Solutions making use of pre-operational or operational products (airborne and ground) in a real operational environment.
Topic conditions and documents
The SJU is launching a Call for Proposals under H2020 restricted to its candidate members (c.f.: eligibility conditions below) with a view to implement “SESAR 2020 Transversal Activities”, “Industrial Research& Validation Activities” and “Very Large Scale Demonstration Activities”
Please read carefully all provisions below before the preparation of your application. The key reference documents for this Call for Proposal are the amended SJU Work Programme 2015 and SESAR 2020 Multi-Annual Work Programme. They set out the purpose and scope of the IR/VLD Call for Proposals and describe the activities that will be implemented via the resulting Grant Agreements as well as the conditions for participation and award.
The purpose of this procedure is to award a maximum of 28 (twenty eight) Grant Agreements (GAs), one per “Topic”. This is the relevant model agreement: SJU Model Grant Agreement (MGA). General guidance can be found in the Annotated Model Grant Agreement (AMGA). Please refer also to the SJU MGA Budget Amendment Process.
- List of countries and applicable rules for funding: Described in the amended SJU Work Programme 2015.
- Eligibility and admissibility conditions: This Call for Proposals is restricted to the Eligible Entities as identified in the amended SJU Work Programme 2015, subject to their selection as SJU Members as a result of the ad-hoc Call for final SJU Membership Applications.The admissibility conditions are described in the amended SJU Work Programme 2015.
- Proposal page limits and layout: Please refer to Part B of the SJU proposal templates for the VLD projects, which can be downloaded after entering the submission tool below.
4.1 Evaluation criteria and procedure, scoring and threshold: Described in the amended SJU Work Programme 2015.
4.2 Submission and evaluation process: Described in the Guide to the submission and evaluation process
- Indicative timetable for evaluation and grant agreement:
Information on the outcome of single-stage evaluation is provided maximum 5 months from the deadline for submission.
Signature of grant agreements: maximum 8 months from the deadline for submission, and maximum 3 months from the date of informing successful applicants.
- Provisions, proposal templates and evaluation forms for the type(s) of action(s) under this topic:
The provisions, templates and evaluation forms for the Very Large Scale Demonstration projects (Innovation Actions) are provided below:
- Specific provisions and funding rates are described in the amended SJU Work Programme 2015
- SJU proposal templates (Administrative forms and Technical annex) are available after entering the "start submission" button and then after entering the "Download Part B Templates" button
- SJU Self-Evaluation Form for VLD Projects
- Technical documentation
- The SJU Work Programme is defined in the SESAR 2020 Multi-Annual Work Programme document.
- For the VLD projects, the Technical Specifications for each Topic can be found in Appendix D of the SESAR 2020 Multiannual Work Programme.
- The Extended Release Strategy indicating the prioritized SESAR Solutions and the major Programme milestones for Wave 1 and Wave 2.
- An overview of the applicable Programme Management processes is provided in the Introduction to SESAR 2020 Programme Execution document
- Proposed European ATM Master Plan edition 2015
No submission system is open for this topic.
Participant Portal FAQ – Submission of proposals.
National Contact Points (NCP) - contact your NCP for further assistance.
Research Enquiry Service – ask questions about any aspect of European research in general and the EU Research Framework Programmes in particular.
IT Helpdesk- contact the Participant Portal IT helpdesk for questions such as forgotten passwords, access rights and roles, technical aspects of submission of proposals, etc.
European IPR Helpdesk assists you on intellectual property issues