|Opening Date||22-10-2014||Deadline Date||26-03-2015 17:00:00 (Brussels local time)|
|Publication date||11-12-2013||Total Call Budget||€64,430,000|
|Status||Closed||Main Pillar||Industrial Leadership|
|OJ reference||OJ C361 of 11 December 2013|
|Topic:||Novel nanomatrices and nanocapsules||NMP-06-2015|
Specific challenge: Encapsulation technologies have been widely used for a long time in the pharmaceutical industry for drug delivery applications. The emergence of nanotechnology and the availability of novel tools have paved the way for a new type of nanomatrices and nanocapsules, which can be used for targeted delivery and can carry payloads for localised action in many application fields.
Scope: Proposals should address applications for safe, controlled and reliable novel nanomatrices and nanocapsules containing active ingredients (e.g. drugs in nanomedicine, vitamins or anti-oxidants for cosmetic and personal care products, or cleaning and antimicrobial agents for housecleaning products), as well as their manufacturing processes. Different types of nanomatrices and nanocapsules are required, depending on the nature of the material (hydrophobic or hydrophilic) to be incorporated. Technical challenges relate to the production techniques involved (such as coacervation or phase separation) for improving the stability of the nano formulation and the active ingredients (payload) involved; development of novel mechanisms for the release of the payload (e.g. in response to changes in temperature or pH) is a further challenge. Nanomatrices or nanocapsules as carriers for targeted delivery could also be addressed. Safety considerations and contribution to standardization should be an integral part of the projects.
For this topic, proposals should include an outline of the initial exploitation and business plans, which will be developed further in the proposed project.
Activities expected to focus on Technology Readiness Level 4-5. Implemented as cross-KET activities.
The Commission considers that proposals requesting a contribution from the EU between EUR 3 and 5 million would allow this specific challenge to be addressed appropriately. Nonetheless, this does not preclude submission and selection of proposals requesting other amounts.
Supply of safe, energy- and resource-efficient manufacturing systems for nanomatrices and nanocapsules, with the potential for radical improvements in therapy and/or quality of life;
Benefit the European healthcare and/or consumer sectors through novel new systems and improved collaborations between the key actors in the value chain;
Paving the way for the future commercialisation of such products, based on an analysis of the efficacy, safety and cost-benefit of products utilising nanomatrices/nanocapsules for the end-users or patients.
Identification of gaps in standards, paving the way for future pre-normative activities in the field.
Promoting safe-by-design approaches in collaboration with the EU nano-safety cluster and contributing towards the framework of EU nanosafety and regulatory strategies.
Type of action: Research & Innovation Actions
 EU Nano-safety strategy 2015-2020 and NanoReg project
Please read carefully all provisions below before the preparation of your application.
- List of countries and applicable rules for funding: described in part A of the General Annexes of the General Work Programme.
- Eligibility and admissibility conditions: described in part B and C of the General Annexes of the General Work Programme.
3.1 Evaluation criteria and procedure, scoring and threshold: described in part H of the General Annexes of the General Work Programme, with the following exceptions:
For single-stage and second-stage evaluations, the threshold for the criteria Excellence and Impact will be 4. The overall threshold, applying to the sum of the three individual scores, will be 12.
In case of equal overall scores in the ranked list, the priority order of proposals will be established in accordance with part H of the General Annexes, except that proposals will be ranked on the basis of individual scores for the Impact criterion before the Excellence criterion.
3.2 Guide to the submission and evaluation process
- Proposal page limits and layout: Please refer to Part B of the standard proposal template.
- Indicative timetable for evaluation and grant agreement:
Information on the outcome of one-stage evaluation: maximum 5 months from the final date for submission.
Signature of grant agreements: maximum 3 months from the date of informing successful applicants.
- Provisions, proposal templates and evaluation forms for the type(s) of action(s) under this topic:
Research and Innovation Action:
Specific provisions and funding rates
Standard proposal template (administrative forms and structure of technical annex)
Standard evaluation form
Annotated Model Grant Agreement
- Additional provisions:
Horizon 2020 budget flexibility
Technology readiness levels (TRL) – where a topic description refers to TRL, these definitions apply.
Financial support to Third Parties – where a topic description foresees financial support to Third Parties, these provisions apply.
- Open access must be granted to all scientific publications resulting from Horizon 2020 actions, and proposals must refer to measures envisaged. Where relevant, proposals should also provide information on how the participants will manage the research data generated and/or collected during the project, such as details on what types of data the project will generate, whether and how this data will be exploited or made accessible for verification and re-use, and how it will be curated and preserved.
You can download the same documents as one zip file from the call page
- Flash Call Info en
- Legal basis - Specific Programme H2020 en
- WP H2020 - 1. Introduction en
- WP H2020 - 5. Introduction to Leadership in enabling and industrial technologies (LEITs) en
- Legal basis - Framework Programme H2020 en
- Legal basis - Rules for Participation en
- WP H2020 - 19. General Annexes en
- Clarification Business Plan and Synergies ESIF en
No submission system is open for this topic.