H2020-NMP-2014-two-stageSub call of: H2020-NMP-2014-2015
|Opening Date||11-12-2013||Deadline Date||06-05-2014 17:00:00 (Brussels local time)|
|Publication date||11-12-2013||Total Call Budget||€114,200,000|
|Stage 2||07-10-2014 17:00:00 (Brussels local time)|
|Status||Closed||Main Pillar||Industrial Leadership|
|OJ reference||OJ C361 of 11 December 2013|
|Topic:||Biomaterials for the treatment of diabetes mellitus||NMP-10-2014|
Specific challenge: Diabetes mellitus and its associated pathologies have become a major public health problem. They cause significant physical and psychological morbidity, disability and premature mortality among those affected and imposes a heavy financial burden on health services. The ultimate goal for all curative diabetes research is an effective long-lasting blood glucose normalisation and stabilisation for both type I and type II diabetic patients, at levels comparable to those achieved by intensive insulin therapy in the Diabetes Control and Complications Trial (DCCT). Despite improvements in insulin pharmaceutical efficacy and delivery methods, this approach still has major limitations, significantly impacting on patients’ quality of life.
Scope: Proposals should develop one or more functional biomaterials for the long-term clinical efficacy of transplanted pancreatic islets, and the safe and reliable harvesting of cells from identified source(s), which facilitate highly sensitive identification/screening and sorting of isolated cells; allow for easy handling and safe storage of isolated cells and/or tissue engineering constructs; provide immunoprotection and facilitate construct grafting in target anatomical areas; as well as clinically-reflective in vitro models useful as indicators of long-term in vivo behaviour. A realistic endpoint of the project should be described and justified. Proposals should generate comprehensive pre-clinical data and after completion of the project, the material should be in an optimal position for entering clinical trials or, in case of innovative diagnostic tools, for the validation stage. Preclinical regulatory matters, including the investigational medicinal product dossier (IMPD), should be completed or taken to an advanced stage. Experimental protocols should be planned in accordance with the provisions of the Advanced Therapy Medicinal Products (ATMP) Regulation. Also, the standardisation and manufacturing process can be addressed including up-scaling and good manufacturing practice (GMP).
For this topic, proposals should include an outline of the initial exploitation and business plans, which will be developed further in the proposal project.
Activities expected to focus on Technology Readiness Level 5.
The Commission considers that proposals requesting a contribution from the EU between EUR 6 and 8 million would allow this specific challenge to be addressed appropriately. Nonetheless, this does not preclude submission and selection of proposals requesting other amounts.
· Improvement of the quality of life of both Type I and Type II patients with diabetes mellitus;
· Reduced direct and indirect costs linked to the disease and its treatment, and wide availability of treatments;
· Implementation of relevant objectives of the European Innovation Partnership on Active and Healthy Ageing (COM (2012)83).
Type of action: Research & Innovation Actions
 A recent study found that the total cost of diabetes (direct and indirect) is estimated to exceed €188 billion in 5 study countries (UK, Spain, Italy, France, Germany) of the EU alone. The absolute number of diabetics in the EU27 is expected to rise from approximately 33 million in 2010 to 38 million in 2030.
Please read carefully all provisions below before the preparation of your application.
- List of countries and applicable rules for funding: described in part A of the General Annexes of the General Work Programme.
- Eligibility and admissibility conditions: described in part B and C of the General Annexes of the General Work Programme.
3.1 Evaluation criteria and procedure, scoring and threshold: described in part H of the General Annexes of the General Work Programme, with the following exceptions:
For single-stage and second-stage evaluations, the threshold for the criteria Excellence and Impact will be 4. The overall threshold, applying to the sum of the three individual scores, will be 12.
In case of equal overall scores in the ranked list, the priority order of proposals will be established in accordance with part H of the General Annexes, except that proposals will be ranked on the basis of individual scores for the Impact criterion before the Excellence criterion.
3.2 Guide to the submission and evaluation process
- Proposal page limits and layout: Please refer to Part B of the standard proposal template.
- Indicative timetable for evaluation and grant agreement:
Information on the outcome of two-stage evaluation: maximum 5 months from the final date for submission.
Signature of grant agreements: maximum 3 months from the date of informing successful applicants.
- Provisions, proposal templates and evaluation forms for the type(s) of action(s) under this topic:
Research and Innovation Action:
Specific provisions and funding rates
Standard proposal template
Standard evaluation form
Annotated Model Grant Agreement
- Additional provisions:
Horizon 2020 budget flexibility
Technology readiness levels (TRL) – where a topic description refers to TRL, these definitions apply.
Financial support to Third Parties – where a topic description foresees financial support to Third Parties, these provisions apply.
- Open access must be granted to all scientific publications resulting from Horizon 2020 actions, and proposals must refer to measures envisaged. Where relevant, proposals should also provide information on how the participants will manage the research data generated and/or collected during the project, such as details on what types of data the project will generate, whether and how this data will be exploited or made accessible for verification and re-use, and how it will be curated and preserved.
You can download the same documents as one zip file from the call page
- Flash Call info - Second stage en
- Flash Call info - First stage en
- Legal basis - Specific Programme H2020 en
- WP H2020 - 1. Introduction en
- WP H2020 - 5. Introduction to Leadership in enabling and industrial technologies (LEITs) en
- WP H2020 - 5ii. Nanotechnologies, advanced materials, advanced manufacturing and processing, biotechnology en
- Legal basis - Framework Programme H2020 en
- Legal basis - Rules for Participation en
- WP H2020 - 19. General Annexes en
- Clarification Business Plan and Synergies ESIF en
No submission system is open for this topic.