Once your organisation has been validated, you must appoint a representative (LEAR) - typically someone involved in the organisation's central administration.
This LEAR (Legal Entity Appointed Representative) must be authorised to manage the legal and financial information about his/her organisation on the Participant Portal, and to manage access rights of persons in his/her organisation and to appoint representatives of his/her organisation to electronically sign grant agreements or financial statements via the Participant Portal.
Rights and responsibilities of the LEAR
Once appointed, the LEAR:
- is the only person who can provide updates to information and supply relevant documents about the organisation - via the Participant Portal
- ensures your validated information is up-to-date
- can view and download all documents related to your organisation's legal and financial data and Horizon 2020 status
- grant other colleagues access to the organisation's online account as 'Account Administrators'
- has an overview of all the projects and proposals the organisation is involved in, and the role colleagues have in those projects
- can - indirectly via the Helpdesk - correct inaccurate information about who has which role
- can authorise people to sign grant agreements as 'Legal Signatories' (LSIGN) and to sign financial statements (Forms C) as 'Financial Signatories' (FSIGN) and keep these lists - at all times - up-to-date
- See further details in the Roles and access rights section.
How to appoint a LEAR
You can start the process of appointing a representative (LEAR) as soon as the Commission Validation Services have contacted you to provide the required documents.
Select a person in your organisation to act as its appointed representative (LEAR).
Download the following four forms:
- LEAR appointment letter
- LEAR role and duties
- Terms and conditions of use of the Participant Portal electronic exchange system
- Declaration of consent to the terms and conditions of use of the Participant Portal electronic exchange system
Fill in the LEAR appointment letter (all fields).
Get your organisation's legal representative to:
- sign and stamp the LEAR appointment letter and the LEAR role and duties document (this one to be signed also by the LEAR him/herself)
- read the terms and conditions of use of the Participant Portal electronic exchange system and
- sign the declaration of consent to the terms and conditions.
- the H2020 LEAR appointment letter and the LEAR role and duties document (signed and stamped)
- declaration of consent to the terms and conditions of use of the Participant Portal electronic exchange system (signed and stamped)
- copies of an official proof of identity (ID-card, Passport) carrying a photo and signature for both the legal representative and the appointed representative (LEAR)
- a document(s) proving that the legal representative appointing the LEAR is empowered as such, if both conditions below are met:
- it clearly indicates a role/function within the organization as legal representative of the organisation,
- it identifies and appoints a specific person (by indicating his/her personal data) as the person covering that specific role/function.
Research Executive Agency
H2020 Support (A1)
Activate the appointed representative - LEAR's online user account using:
- the LEAR's username which the Commission will e-mail to him/her along with activation instructions
- the account activation PIN code which will be sent to the LEAR by post
Depending on postal delivery times, the PIN code may arrive after the e-mail containing the username.
Extra task for appointed representatives (LEARs) under H2020
Under the Horizon 2020 programme, the appointed representative (LEAR) is responsible for specifying who can sign grant agreements on behalf of an organisation.
This is in addition to the tasks which appointed representatives were already responsible for under the FP7 programme (2007-13), e.g. updating legal and financial information on the organisation and assigning the role of financial statements signatory (FSIGN).
(!)Reappointing FP7 appointed representatives (LEARs) for H2020
Existing appointed representatives (LEARs) must be reappointed under H2020 to comply with new electronic-only grant signature and management procedures.
For reappointing LEARs, please send all the documents listed under step 4 above to the Commission:
Research Executive Agency
H2020 Support (A1)
Changing the LEAR or his/her data?
- You can designate a new appointed representative (LEAR), simply by following the steps set out under How to appoint a representative (LEAR). There is no separate procedure specifically for replacing LEARs.
- If you are a LEAR and your email address has changed, you need to inform the Validation Services via the 'messaging' option under the My Organisations menu, clicking on the action button Modify Organisations. The e-mail address will subsequently be updated. Please note that a new e-mail address triggers a new ECAS account meaning you will receive a new PIN code.