Horizon 2020 is Open to the World. This means that participants from all over the world, regardless of their place of establishment or residence, can participate in most of the calls of Horizon 2020.
Calls particularly suitable for third* countries participants
In addition to this general openness of most Horizon 2020 calls to non-EU researchers, some calls have been identified as particularly suitable for non-EU partners and in many cases particular countries or regions are targeted (if a region or country is targeted in a call, the participation of entities from those countries or regions is mandatory to form a consortium).
*Countries that are outside the EU and not associated to Horizon 2020 are usually referred to as "third countries".
Horizon 2020 funds
- Collaborative research & innovation projects: carried out by consortia of organisations working together on specific research & innovation areas. A consortium must include at least 3 participants from 3 different EU Member States or Associated countries. In addition to these three partners, any legal entity from anywhere in the world can participate.
- Individual researcher projects: The European Research Council and the Marie Skłodowska-Curie actions offer unparalleled funding opportunities for researchers who want to work in Europe.
Horizon 2020 associated countries
Researchers in associated countries (List of H2020 Associated Countries) to Horizon 2020 have the same rights to receive funding and take part in funded projects as researchers based in the EU.
More information on Swiss participation in Horizon 2020
Other countries (non-EU and not Horizon 2020-associated)
Researchers throughout the world can take part in Horizon 2020 projects - though they are not always automatically eligible for H2020 funding. Please see more detailed Rules for funding here.
- Find Horizon 2020 funding opportunities
- How to participate in Horizon 2020 projects
- International Cooperation in Research and Innovation
- National Contact Points
- Find European Research Council funding opportunities
- Marie Skłodowska-Curie actions
- Available local support for H2020 participants from non-EU countries
Brazil Canada China India Japan Mexico Russia Republic of Korea South Africa USA