Looking forward to 2015
Reaching the target of recycling 95% by weight
of all ELVs by 2015 will require a huge effort on the part of car
manufacturers and all those involved in the industry. They will
need to innovate and to:
- keep recycling very much in mind at
the design stage of new cars;
- label individual parts so that they
can be identified;
- make the dismantling of car parts simpler;
- reduce the number of composite materials
- utilise materials that can be recycled.
This will create a completely new industry
with ELV processing centres, recycling networks, dismantlers and
shredders employing state-of-the-art technology.
Through its Framework Programmes for research and technological
development, the European Union will continue to help industry and
society find environmentally sound and economically viable solutions
to these problems.