Strategic Forum for International Science and Technology Cooperation
Establishment and mandate
SFIC was established through the Competitiveness Council conclusions of 2 December 2008. These conclusions also include the SFIC mandate.
The Secretariat of the Forum is provided by the General Secretariat of the Council of the EU.
SFIC is chaired by an EU Member State. Since June 2013, the Chair is Mr. Dan Andrée, Swedish Ministry of Education and Science and VINNOVA (The Swedish Agency for Innovation Systems).
According to the SFIC rules of procedures the SFIC must draw up a work programme and update it regularly. Currently the SFIC operates with a biannual work programme.
Mobility to and from BRIC countries
- SFIC-SGHRM joint workshop on improving the mobility of researchers between Europe and BRIC countries
- SFIC-SGHRM Mobility workshop 2012 247 KB
Peer learning workshop on SFIC's role at national level
In the SFIC mandate given by the Council conclusions of December 2008 SFIC is tasked to report annually to the Council and they Commission on progress achieved in realizing its objectives.
- Annual report - 2011 323 KB
- Annual report - 2010 ( 1.08MB)
- Annual report - 2009 ( 211KB)
- Chair letter
On 21 November 2011 SFIC adopted its Opinion on the ERA Framework ( 199 KB).
Summary conclusions of SFIC meetings
The summary conclusions of SFIC meetings can be found on the SFIC dedicated part of the Council's website.
Relevant Council conclusions and Commission Communications
Commission Communication (2012) 110 KB
Enhancing and focusing EU international cooperation in research and innovation: A strategic approach.
Commission Communication COM(2008)588 373 KB
A Strategic European Framework for International Science and Technology Cooperation
- Competitiveness Council of 2 December 2008 concerning a European partnership for international scientific and technological cooperation
- Competitiveness Council of 26 May 2010 ( 106KB) related to the development of ERA
- Commission Communication COM(2010)546 on the Europe 2020 Flagship Initiative Innovation Union
- Council Conclusions of 31 May 2011 ( 100KB) on the development of the European Research Area (ERA) through ERA-related Groups