Strategic Forum for International Science and Technology Cooperation (SFIC)
The Strategic Forum for International Science and Technology Cooperation (SFIC) is an advisory group to the Council and the European Commission in the field of International Cooperation in Science & Technology (S&T).
- Systematically sharing and structuring information on S&T cooperation activities and objectives (whether ongoing or planned) of the various partners
- Pooling relevant knowledge concerning third countries, in particular analyses of their S&T resources and capabilities
- Ensuring regular consultation between the partners in order to identify their respective objectives and common priorities in terms of S&T cooperation with third countries ("what and with whom?")
- Where appropriate, coordinating activities of a similar nature implemented by Member States and the European Union (with variable geometry)
- If necessary, proposing initiatives to be implemented with appropriate ways and means
- Networking of Member States' and the Commission's scientific advisors in key third countries
SFIC is composed by the European Commission, all European Union Member States and several non-EU countries as observers. The Secretariat is provided by the General Secretariat of the Council of the EU and is chaired by an EU Member State, designated for a period of 2 years.
The work of the SFIC can be followed through their work programmes and annual reports to the Council and the Commission.
For general information about the group, if you have queries or you want to share your views please contact us at: