8 May 2013
New EU-India Energy call
This is the 4th multilateral call for proposals launched by the EC funded New INDIGO Era-Net project. The call is open from 8th May 2013 to 23 August 2013. Research projects involving at least two European partners and one Indian partner will be funded. For more information please consult the call documents on the New INDIGO webpage.
11 October 2012, New Delhi
EU-India S&T Joint Committee Meeting
The 8th EU-India S&T Joint Committee meeting was co-chaired by Dr. Ramasami, Secretary of the Indian Department of Science and Technology (DST), and by Wolfgang Burtscher, Deputy Director General of DG RTD. The meeting mobilised a large Indian delegation, including representatives from the DST, the Department of Biotechnology, the Council of Medical Research, the Council of Industrial Research, and the Global Innovation and Technology Alliance. The agenda covered a large range of issues including Horizon 2020 and its new funding rules, the governance structure for the EU/MS-India Partnership, and current and future cooperation activities in research and innovation. Both sides acknowledged the recent 32m€ water related coordinated call (environment and FAB themes) as well as the New INDIGO ERA-NET as a success and as models for the future.
The Committee agreed to set up a joint monitoring mechanism for the recently launched water projects, to launch a joint Innovation Prize with a view to recognise innovation activities involving both EU and Indian actors with co-funding from the two sides, and to study the possibility of a flagship initiative on Affordable Health.
In addition to the kick-off meeting of the EU-India water projects in Bangalore (see below), this mission provided an opportunity to participate in the launch event of the European Business Group Innovation Report, and to visit the R&D facilities of EU and Indian companies (Bayer, Danone, STMicroelectronics, Moser Baer).
10 October 2012, Bangalore
Kick-off Meeting for EU-India Cooperation in Water-Related Projects
This event was jointly organised by DG RTD and the Indian Department of Science and Technology (DST). The objectives were to celebrate the successful implementation of EU-Indian research cooperation in the fields of water and bio-resources initiated two years ago, and to launch new research activities under two EU-India coordinated calls. These calls were jointly launched by the Environment Theme of FP7 and by the Indian DST; and, in parallel, by the Food, Agriculture and Fisheries, and Biotechnology Theme of FP7 and the Indian Department of Bio-Technology. The meeting brought together senior EU and Indian officials and representatives from the 6 EU and 5 Indian projects. The meeting was opened by Wolfgang Burtscher, Deputy Director General of DG RTD, and by Sadhana Relia, Head of the International Division of the Indian Department of Science and Technology, who called for reinforced cooperation in water-related projects between the EU and India.
Speakers underlined how the projects in this coordinated call were successfully tackling key issues such as water pollution due to the discharge of untreated wastewater, water scarcity, groundwater depletion, unhygienic sludge handling practices, removal of arsenic pollution, nutrient and energy recovery, safe water reuse, etc. Directly addressing major societal challenges, these joint projects pave the way for large scale deployment of key environmental technologies.
31 May-1 June 2012
EU/Member States-INDIA Conference and Ministerial Meeting Build Momentum for Indo-European Research and Innovation Partnership, Brussels
Over 200 European and Indian stakeholders from the public and private sectors gathered in Brussels on 31 May - 1 June 2012 at a conference organised by DG Research and Innovation to discuss common challenges, priority areas and instruments to boost Europe-India cooperation in research and innovation.
A ministerial meeting hosted by the Danish Presidency of the European Union was held in parallel with the participation of Commissioner Máire Geoghegan-Quinn, Morten Østergaard, Danish Science and Innovation Minister, Shri Vilasrao Deshmuk'h, Indian Minister of Science and Technology and Earth Sciences, and - representing the past and future EU Presidencies - Barbara Kudrycka, Polish Minister of Science and Higher Education representing and Stavros Malas, Cypriot Minister of Health.
In a Brussels Communiqué on the "Indo-European Partnership for Research and Innovation", Ministers agreed draw up a shared strategic agenda in the area of research and innovation and to support it through the setting up of a Group of Senior Officials, with the objective of adopting the new strategic agenda in the first half of 2013.
11-12 November 2010, Delhi, India
India-EU and Member States Partnership for a Strategic Roadmap in Research and Innovation
Bilateral EU-India cooperation
The EU-India Agreement on scientific and technological cooperation concluded in 2001 and renewed in 2010, is the cornerstone of our research and innovation cooperation with India. Since 2007 several coordinated calls for proposals have been implemented in a variety of areas such as computational materials science, food and nutrition research, solar energy research and water related challenges, with a total budget of EUR 60M co funded by India and the EU. In addition Indian researchers participate actively in the Framework Programme through the general opening mechanism. There are 135 FP7 on-going projects with such Indian participation
Coordination of EU/Member States activities towards India
Within the Strategic Forum for International Science and Technology Cooperation (SFIC), the Member States and European Commission have been working since 2009 on an India pilot initiative on water and bio-resources related challenges. This pilot initiative maps on-going initiatives between the EU, individual MS and India, identifying common priorities and preparing coordinated actions towards India. It also led to a joint EU-India call of EUR 32M in the field of water and bio-resources related challenges.
Joint Declaration on Research and Innovation
This policy development process has led to the signature of the Joint Declaration on Research and Innovation signed by the Trade Commissioner, Karel De Gucht on behalf of the European Union and Ashwani Kumar, Minister of State for Science & Technology for India at the EU-India Summit of 10 February 2012.
The Joint Declaration signed at the Summit is about "Moving up a gear in our cooperation towards building an 'Indo-European Research and Innovation Partnership' with (i) larger scale, scope and impact, (ii) focus on common societal challenges, and (iii) enhanced synergies between India, the EU and its Member States".
EU/MS-India Ministerial meeting 1 June 2012
Following on the Joint Declaration signed at the EU-India Summit in February 2012, Ministers of Research from the Presidency Trio, Commissioner Geoghegan Quinn and the Indian Minister for Research Deshmukh met in Brussels on 31 May 2012 to step up efforts to implement the Indo-European Partnership for Research and Innovation. They agreed on a Brussels communiqué which called for i) jointly define the scope and develop a Strategic Research " Innovation Agenda - a White Paper, ii) Establish a Group of Senior Officials (GSO) and iii) setting up an industry-driven India-Europe stakeholder group for research and innovation.
- New INDIGO ERA-NET is a consortium of European and Indian S&T organisations involved in promoting research cooperation between Europe and India. It is intended to strengthen the international dimension of the European Research Area (ERA) and to provide a gateway to European S&T for Networking with the Indian S&T Community.
- EU-India S&T Cooperation Portal - This portal created at the initiative of the New-INDIGO ERA-NET project, provides access to the key multilateral support projects and initiatives on EU-INDIA S&T Cooperation.
- India GATE - Promoting EU-India S&T Cooperation, providing information about funding opportunities available in India open for European organisations.
- BILAT EUINEC - Facilitating EU-India S&T cooperation by increasing awareness among Indian and European stakeholders about cooperation opportunities through information and capacity building activities.
- India SI House project undertakes an ambitious feasibility study for the establishment of an EU-India Joint House for Science and Innovation. It is exploring the political will to build up a sustainable ST&I cooperation, the legal framework and tools as well as the scientific will and priorities in both regions.
- EURAXESS Links India is an information and networking tool for European researchers, scientists, and scholars working in or commuting to India. This multidisciplinary network includes members at all stages of their careers. It allows them to connect with each other and with Europe, ensuring that they are recognized as an important resource for European research, whether they remain in India or return to Europe.
- INDO MARECLIM project - The project aims at promoting the opening up of bilateral joint research facilities to participation of researchers from other EU Member States and Associated Countries in the areas of monsoon climate variability, marine ecosystems and coastal management including impact on society.
- FP7 Projects with Indian participation 2.5 MB - this catalogue provides an overview of FP7 projects launched in the period 2007-2013 with participation of Indian institutions.
- Success stories: selection of good practices projects with active Indian participation.
ContactsDG Research and Innovation
Philippe DE TAXIS DU POËT
Policy Officer - R&I Relations with India
Unit RTD D 1 - Relations with Asia
Delegation of the European Union to India
First Counsellor - Head of Science & Technology
65, Golf Links, New Delhi, 110 003 India