Government of India to co-fund five Green Deal call topics
On 22 September 2020, the Department of Biotechnology of the Government of India agreed to co-fund successful Indian entities in five Green Deal call topics under the final Horizon 2020 Work programme 2018-2020 Building a low-carbon climate resolution future: research and innovation in support of the European Green Deal.
EU - India to jointly fund seven research and innovation projects to the tune of EUR 40 million to tackle urgent water challenges
The Delegation of the European Union to India, the Department of Science & Technology and the Department of Biotechnology presented the seven projects that have been selected under the EU - India Joint Call on Research and Innovation for Water. The selected projects will develop new and/or adapt the most suitable existing innovative and affordable solutions for Indian conditions, both in urban and rural areas, thus providing some key solutions to the urgent water challenges.More information
Bilateral EU-India cooperation
The EU-India Agreement on scientific and technological cooperation concluded in 2001, renewed in 2010 and 2016, is the cornerstone of our research and innovation cooperation with India. Since 2007 several coordinated calls for proposals have been implemented in a variety of areas such as computational materials science, food and nutrition research, solar energy research and water related challenges and vaccines, with a total budget of EUR 60M under FP7 and EUR 60M under Horizon 2020 co funded by India and the EU. In addition Indian researchers participate actively in the Framework Programme through the general opening mechanism.
EU-India Summit 2017 and the 11th Joint Steering Committee of the EU-India Agreement for Scientific and Technological Cooperation
The EU-India Summit of 6 October 2017 in New Delhi brought new dynamism to EU- India relations. Leaders reconfirmed that the EU and India are natural partners and set out a common vision for further strengthening and broadening the scope of bilateral relations in several fields.
The leaders agreed to work towards an enhanced cooperation on innovation and technology development aiming at actions strengthening cooperation between European and Indian industries and start-up ecosystems as preliminary agreed at the 11th Joint Steering Committee of 6 June 2017.
Seven out of 53 points of the Summit Joint Declaration refer to research and/or innovation, announcing for instance:
- the signature of an Implementing Arrangement between the European Commission and the Indian Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB) allowing Indian scientists to join ERC teams in Europe: Implementing Arrangement
- the launch of a EUR 30M flagship initiative on water research and innovation under the Horizon 2020 work programme 2018-2020
- a scaling up of cooperation in research and innovation, notably through the extension of the co-funding mechanism across all areas of mutual interest under Horizon 2020, including health and energy
- a commitment to pave the way towards an enhanced cooperation on innovation and technology development
- since the last Summit, a new EUR 30M flagship call on a next generation of influenza vaccine was launched
- European Commission’s EU-India Innovation Pilot initiatives
- Horizon 2020 Funding and tender opportunities India country fiche including a list of co-funded calls
- EURAXESS Links India is an information and networking tool for European researchers, scientists, and scholars working in or commuting to India.
EU Innovation platform in India
The EU Innovation Platform in India is a forum, managed during a pilot phase of two years, by the European Commission, which brings together European innovation actors active in India, both from the private and the public sectors.
The main objective is to foster exchange of information on the Indian innovation ecosystem and create synergies among the innovation initiatives undertaken by Member States (MS) and countries associated (AC) to the EU framework programme for research and innovation.
The Platform aims also at facilitating cooperation among its members encouraging them to launch joint initiatives open to all members and beyond under an 'EU banner'.
DG Research and Innovation
Policy Officer - R&I Relations with India
Unit RTD C1
Tel: (+32) 229 51297