For your editorial planning
Diabesity - A World-Wide Challenge
9 February 2012
Brussels, 8 February 2012
|When?||Brussels, 9 February 2012|
|What?||"Diabesity A World-Wide Challenge" – conference with media point|
|Where?||European Commission, Charlemagne building
170 Rue de la Loi, Brussels, Belgium
|Who?||Ruxandra Draghia-Akli, Director Health, Directorate-General for Research and Innovation, European Commission|
|When?||Media point with Ruxandra Draghia-Akli: 9 February 2012, 13:15-13:45|
This 2-day event will bring together some 200 leading scientists, funding agencies, policy-makers and other key players from Europe, Australia, Canada, China, India, Mexico, South Africa, United States, and other countries.
It will present the research landscape and explore opportunities for greater international cooperation and new research partnerships to defuse the "ticking time bomb" of diabetes and obesity.
The media highlights of the event are:
- the morning plenary of day 1 at which the main funding agencies will discuss the key challenges and the potential to link international research programmes and set up new partnerships;
- during the afternoon of day 1, the presentation of a new EU-funded €16 million research project cluster on gene-environment interactions in diabetes and obesity, focussing on South Asian, Mediterranean, and sub-Saharan African populations (the Commission will publish a separate press release and memo on 9 February on this subject);
- at the media point, organised in a dedicated area in front of the plenary room, you will have the opportunity to speak to Dr Ruxandra Draghia-Akli about the conference and its context.
Participating journalists will receive a press pack containing:
- The press release and memo on the new diabetes research projects
- The final event programme
- The bionote of Dr Ruxandra Draghia-Akli
Salvador Ruiz Carillo de Albornoz: +32 2 29 55589
Peter Löffler: +32 2 29 80761 (GSM on 9 February: +32 486 93 61 90)
The conference website is http://ec.europa.eu/research/health/events-12_en.html
Attendance is free of charge but travel and accommodation costs cannot be covered. Please report to the on-site registration desk after your arrival.
Friday, 28 August 2015Commission speeds up access to market of 16 innovative projects with €36 million
Wednesday, 22 July 2015Investment Plan for Europe: European Fund for Strategic Investments adds firepower to Horizon2020 for innovative SMEs
Thursday, 16 July 2015€100 million to innovative companies in Italy with financial backing from Horizon 2020
Wednesday, 15 July 2015€140 million to innovative companies in the UK with financial backing from Horizon 2020
Monday, 13 July 2015First loan under InnovFin Infectious Diseases provides €10 million to improve HIV monitoring
Friday, 10 July 2015SMEs in Belgium to benefit from €100 million in EU-guaranteed loans
All News Alerts/Press Releases