European Research Area
Food, agriculture and fisheries, and biotechnology
Information and Communication Technologies (ICT)
Key Enabling Technologies
Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
New materials and new production technologies
SME - Small and Medium-sized Enterprises
Science with and for Society
Socio-Economic Sciences and Humanities
European Open Science Cloud Summit
12 June 2017, Brussels, Belgium
The summit will be Europe’s moment of commitment to the EOSC and it will generate a number of concrete EOSC Statements for implementation. By reviewing key areas of EOSC implementation and endorsing the EOSC statements, participants will take upon themselves to make the EOSC a reality by 2020. In that respect, the summit wants to mark a clear milestone, and prove willingness to build the EOSC as an inclusive and sustainable open commons for Europe’s research and innovation system.
The event aims to:
- take stock of the progress made so far
- give stakeholders the opportunity to review the Commission's vision for the European Open Science Cloud
- build consensus on the implementation plan and next steps
Commissioner Moedas will open the event with a speech, which will be followed by a panel discussion. Five substantive sessions will follow, on the key aspects of the implementation of the EOSC. Director-General Robert-Jan Smits will Chair the event.
Discussion will centre around short preparatory documents prepared for the Summit ('input papers'). The papers were drafted by the Commission in collaboration with Chairs and Rapporteurs and with the assistance of the EOSCPilot project. The paper are therefore not a formal Commission document (e.g., non-paper, in the common understanding of the term).
The papers will be the starting point of discussion in the sessions and - for the first four sessions - the basis for the preparation of EOSC statements at the end of the Summit. The EOSC Statements will highlight the expected roles of stakeholders, Member States and the Commission in the finalisation and implementation of the EOSC Roadmap. Specifically, the Summit will be of practical utility to help the Commission finalise the EOSC Roadmap for governance and funding that is to be presented to Member States by the end of 2017; and to help form a coalition of willing stakeholders (expressed at the Summit), as a basis for a future 'governance board' for the EOSC.
The event is by invitation only.
- EOSC Summit Sessions Contributors 1.1 MB
- Participant list 400 KB
- Draft Agenda 338 KB
- Session 1: data culture, data stewardship, practical and policy tools 129 KB
- Session 2: adoption and implementation of fair data principles 136 KB
- Session 3: research data infrastructures and services 239 KB
- Session 4: sustainable funding & governance 129 KB
- Session 5: high-performance computing, big data and super connectivity 129 KB
ThemesEC-organised event | Open science