Integrated research on DEvelopmental determinants of Aging and Longevity
Coordinator: Pieternella SLAGBOOM
Project Number: 259679
EC contribution: € 11,986,951.00
Project website: http://www.idealageing.eu
IDEAL will obtain insight into the role of early life conditions affecting late-life health, disease and aging, and the role of epigenetic regulation therein. IDEAL will identify the determinants and targets of this epigenetic regulation utilizing a resource of unique human cohorts and animal studies that allow testing of hypotheses on the link between development and aging. Key objectives of IDEAL are
- Quantify the role of epigenetic regulation in the response to developmental conditions that affect growth & metabolism, immunity, and reproduction in animal models and its translation to human conditions.
- Quantify the role of epigenetic regulation in the response to developmental conditions of humans and create the animal model that resembles such responses.
- Create a reference library of gene expression and epigenetic changes as a function of age and obtain insight into principles of epigenetic regulation across species.
- Develop monitoring tools of epigenetic effects following developmental conditions.
- Develop monitoring tools of epigenetic control during aging and their meaning for physiological functions, and for the development of biomarkers of aging
- Identify pathways determining and promoting human longevity.
- Identify pathways determining human health and longevity by influencing developmental processes.
- Develop animal models for testing relevant compounds to modify epigenetic effects early or later in life.
We will study known longevity determinants as well as newly discovered pathways, and we will link early development with all adult phases. Our research can provide models for testing interventions through epigenetic regulation that improves healthy aging and longevity and that can be translated into novel drug targets and protein therapeutics. IDEAL integrates expertise, resources and results of some of the best EU projects on ageing and has the potential to reshape health-care for a healthier and longer life in the EU.