How to answer a call
FP6 finances research activities via a number of funding instruments
(or tools). The main instruments are:
- Integrated Project (IP): IPs are designed to answer an important
scientific question and to generate the critical mass of activities
and resources needed to achieve ambitious, clearly defined scientific
and technological objectives.
- Specific Targeted Research Project (STREP): STREPs are similar
to IPs but are smaller in scale. These projects need to be sharply
focused on a particular scientific aspect.
- Network of Excellence (NoE): NoEs aim to strengthen scientific
and technological excellence on a particular research topic by
integrating, at European level, the necessary resources and expertise
to achieve European leadership in the field.
- Specific Support Action (SSA): SSAs are intended to complement
the other instruments in the implementation of FP6 through the
analysis and dissemination of results or the preparation of future
- Coordinated Actions (CA): CAs are a continuation of the concerted
actions/thematic networks used in FP5, but reinforced to promote
and support networking and coordination of research and innovation
aimed at improving integration.
Answering a calling
An FP6 call for proposals outlines the areas in which the Commission
is inviting research consortia to submit project proposals. If interested
in submitting a proposal, follow the clear guidelines set out by
the Commission and observe the stated deadline. The applications
procedure can be complex, particularly for first-timers, but help
is available online (see More info).
Back to Calls page