| Title: Model for multi-pollutant impact and assessment of threshold levels for cultural heritage
Contract Type: CSC Contract Number: EVK4-CT-2001-00044 Start Date: 01-01-2002 Duration: 40 months
Problems to be solved
MULTI-ASSESS will assess the individual and synergetic multi-pollutant effects of wet and dry deposition of gases in particular sulphur, nitrogen, ozone, nitric acid- and of particles on deterioration and soiling of cultural heritage objects. A multi-pollutant model will be developed on the basis of an extensive field and laboratory exposure programme using passive and validated samples in 30 test sites from 18 countries including all parts of Europe and with a link to North America. The dose-response functions of the model will be used to identify and map areas exceeding threshold values. A tool-kit will be proposed for rapid risk assessment of corrosion and soiling of these chemical agents to objects of cultural heritage facilitating decisions concerning the care and restoration of buildings and others heritage objects by central and local authorities. The project will contribute to the improvement of European legislation on urban air pollution and will be also related with world-wide regulations in the field of cultural heritage conservation and, de facto, with economic factors.
Scientific objectives and approach
* To develop a multi-pollutant deterioration and soiling model of wet and dry deposition of gases and particulates on materials used in objects of the European cultural heritage
* To use model results for assessment of pollution threshold levels and to recommend levels to be implemented in the future development of EU Directives on urban air quality in order to minimise the pollution effects on historic and cultural objects.
* To then demonstrate the usefulness of the approach by mapping areas exceeding threshold levels in Europe using available environmental data from the EMEP programme, by identifying cities exceeding threshold values using the EEA "Airbase" database and by mapping areas exceeding threshold levels in a selected urban area.
* To propose a tool for rapid risk assessment of the impact to objects of cultural heritage.
* Validation and results of passive samplers for HNO3, particulates and soiling.
* Dose-response fcn for materials used in objects of cultural heritage (OCH) .Pollution threshold levels for the future review of EU directives on pollutants limit values for preservation of OCH in a similar way as health and vegetation.
* Mapping of risk areas in Europe.
* A tool for rapid assessment of the deterioration risk to OCH, consisting of a kit of selected material specimens and passive samplers for pollutants.
Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org
project details in the CORDIS database
Additional project information:
||Toolkit for rapid low cost assessment of the deterioration risk to objects of cultural heritage