Items 1-10 of 25 – Page:
Friday, 19 December 2014
1. Research Headlines - Understanding climate change impact on Amazon deforestation
EU-funded researchers have assessed the impact of climate and land-use change on deforestation in the Amazon and put forward policy recommendations designed to ensure the long term sustainability of this vast ecosystem.
Thursday, 18 December 2014
2. Research Headlines - Coatings extend wind turbine life and slash costs
Wind turbine towers are growing taller, with rotor blade diameters exceeding 100 metres. And like any other machine, these 'giants' occasionally need repairing. EU-funded researchers have now started to develop a novel system for on-site maintenance.
Wednesday, 17 December 2014
3. Environment - New page on nature-based solutions
Nature-based solutions are understood as living solutions inspired by, continuously supported by and using nature, which are designed to address various societal challenges in a resource efficient and adaptable manner and to provide simultaneously economic, social and environmental benefits. This new page presents five examples.
4. Events - SAVE THE DATE! Latvian Presidency Conference: First Innovative Enterprise Week - 15-17 June 2015, Riga, Latvia
First Innovative Enterprise week “Access to Finance for Research, Innovation and SMEs 2015” is a 3-day international conference on:
• the political answer to the macroeconomic situation
• ways to boost growth, jobs and competitiveness through innovation, including the investment Plan for the EU
• how the financial instruments, facilities and accompanying measures launched under Horizon 2020 can enhance access to finance for research, innovation and SMEs
• interactions between these financial instruments, COSME's and European Structural & Investment Funds (ESIF), as well as with instruments at national and local levels.
Tuesday, 16 December 2014
5. Events - Visit the EU's stand (Number 30) at Ireland's BT Young Scientist and Technology Exhibition, Dublin - 8-10 January 2015, Dublin, Ireland
This year, the EU stand in the World of Science and Technology (Stand number 30 in the Industries Hall) has a special focus on Food Research - so drop in and find out more about what the EU is doing in the area of Food Research - we look forward to meeting you!
Every day there will be interactive areas where you can: • Test your knowledge about food and exercise by taking part in the 'Food4Me Quiz'. You will be surprised at what you learn and could even take home a prize! • Learn how packaging protects our food and how we can protect the environment when we dispose of it in the correct way.
Monday, 15 December 2014
6. Events - 12th International Conference of Young Scientists on ENergy Issues (CYSENI 2015) - 27-28 May 2015, Kaunas, Lithuania
The Local Organizing Committee is pleased to invite Ph. D. students, postdocs, master students and all other young scientists doing research on energy issues to participate in the 12th Annual International Conference of Young Scientists on Energy Issues - CYSENI 2015.
The Conference aims at:
• providing an opportunity to present the up-to-date research results and to familiarise with the colleagues’ research;
• providing an opportunity to make contacts with the colleagues from Lithuanian and foreign scientific research institutions;
• providing an opportunity to get the review (prepared by the senior researchers) on the submitted paper;
• providing an opportunity to review the papers of other Conference participants;
• developing skills of the young scientists to present their own ideas and research results, discuss over various scientific topics.
7. Events - Stress Biology and Crop Fertility Conference - 18-22 March 2015, Sorrento, Italy
We are pleased to announce the 3rd Conference organized in the framework of the SPOT-ITN project (Marie Curie Actions, Initial Training Network, EU Grant Agreement No 289220).
The conference will bring together approximately 20 speakers of outstanding international reputation and different background covering various scientific aspects and the young scientists of the SPOT-ITN consortium.
Speakers will provide an overview of recent developments and approaches in the field and will share with the audience their thoughts and ideas for future avenues in their research.
We hope this symposium will attract not only established scientists, but also international graduate students and postdocs interested in the field.
8. Research Headlines - EU research helps fish farmers become more competitive
Aquaculture holds the promise of reducing the need to catch wild fish. Global demand for fish is increasing, putting many species in danger from overfishing. Fish farming, or aquaculture, is taking some of the pressure off these stocks - half of the fish consumed globally is now produced at fish farms.
Thursday, 11 December 2014
9. Events - Resolving key fisheries issues through targeted communication - 30 January 2015, Brussels
An important FREE fisheries event entitled "Resolving key fisheries issues through targeted communication" will take place on Friday, 30 January 2015 in Brussels. The event is the final activity organized by the EU ComFish project. The one-day event is open to all fisheries stakeholders, including scientists, NGOs, industry representatives, policy makers and politicians.
The event will present ComFish project findings and offer opportunities to work and network in smaller groups to address specific bottlenecks and communication issues related to the EU/ICES/GFCM dialogue, reducing by-catch, labelling issues, fisheries co-management and transparency in quota setting.
10. Research Headlines - New analysis aids planning for climate change
A detailed picture of European weather patterns over the past decades is now emerging thanks to an EU-funded project to re-analyse historical records. The results will help governments plan for climate change by better understanding past trends and extreme events.
Items 1-10 of 25 – Page: