Items 1-10 of 25 – Page:
Thursday, 26 February 2015
1. Success Stories - Building houses with bacteria
Houses of the future could be partially built with bacteria. It sounds like science fiction but researchers involved in an EU-backed project in Madrid are working towards making this a concrete reality.
Tuesday, 17 February 2015
2. Success Stories - Picking your moments: the science behind foraging in forests
Forests are not just a source of timber; mushrooms, berries, nuts and other gifts of nature play an important role in the bio-economy of forest regions and science is making a significant contribution to the exploitation of these rich resources.
Thursday, 12 February 2015
3. Success Stories - Breathing forest: assessing climate change impact on Earth's lungs
Forests are the green lungs of our planet. During the day, trees absorb carbon dioxide and produce the oxygen we need to breathe. But at night, the process is reversed and the forest produces carbon dioxide. What does this mean for the global climate equation? Thats what we consider in this edition of Futuris.
Tuesday, 10 February 2015
4. Events - 4th FLAGSHIP Workshop - Economic, Social and Environmental challenges: modelling policies - 19 March 2015, Brussels, Belgium
‘Economic, Social and Environmental challenges: modelling policies’: FLAGSHIP partners are in the process of bridging the research results with policy making and are looking for experts’ views and contributions. The on-going work and the questions that emerged will be presented during this one-day workshop to be held at the EU Representation of Lower-Saxony, Rue Montoyer 61, in Brussels, Belgium.
The workshop will take place back to back with DESIRE workshop and EMInInn final conference respectively on the 17th and the 18th of March.
5. Events - BUSINESS & INNOVATION training in the Mediterranean area - 5 March 2015, Casablanca, Morocco
The seminar will bring together researchers, representatives of research & technology organisations, SMEs, start ups, technology transfer offices and other stakeholders of the EUROMED innovation ecosystem, aiming to:
- Facilitate the knowledge, innovation and technology transfer from academia to business.
- Support the commercialisation of research results.
- Offer the beneficiaries the opportunity to build better skills on the exploitation of research results emphasising to the soft side of innovation and the role of human capital in TT activities, from research to industry.
Monday, 09 February 2015
6. Events - Launching Workshop: a European Roadmap for Climate Services - 17 March 2015, Brussels
The event is organised by the DIRECTORATE-GENERAL FOR RESEARCH & INNOVATION and it is a follow-up of the Workshop "Towards a European market for Climate Services" (Brussels, 18 March 2014), designed to initiate a visionary and forward looking discussion on the development of a European market for climate services. One of its outcomes was the proposal to design a research and innovation Roadmap for climate services to be implemented through Horizon 2020 and beyond.
This workshop is the first public occasion to present the Roadmap to the stakeholders and key players in the field, share views, discuss the challenges and opportunities, and move towards its implementation.
7. Research Headlines - Understanding the Earth's magnetic field for precision weather forecasting
For years, the European Space Agency (ESA) has been studying the Earth's magnetosphere - a 'bubble' in which the Earth's magnetic field is present. Huge amounts of supporting data have been gathered. EU-funded researchers have made this data available in an easy-to-use, open-access format, giving scientists the information they need to improve space weather forecasting - important for protecting European satellite and ground-based infrastructure.
Friday, 06 February 2015
8. Research Headlines - Enzyme prospecting in the land of fire and ice
An EU-funded project has extracted enzymes found among Iceland's volcanoes that could lead to more efficient and greener industrial processes-from making food to biofuels. A number of these enzymes have already been patented, ushering in a new generation of natural catalysts for chemical processes and helping industry become more competitive.
Wednesday, 04 February 2015
9. Research Headlines - Helping Europe's aviation sector rise to the challenges of the future
Air transport is a growing and increasingly vital part of our rapidly globalising world. At the same time, the aeronautics industry faces an unprecedented set of challenges. Chief among these is the need for greener and more sustainable aviation. For everyone in the industry, the message is clear: successful 'green' innovation will be key.
Tuesday, 03 February 2015
10. Success Stories - New skins for leaky buildings
In the Italian city of Milan a major European research project is examining the energy efficiency of new insulation materials. It aims to assess the advantages and disadvantages of these materials, and establish how and where they can be used.
Items 1-10 of 25 – Page: