Innovation provides real benefits for us as citizens, consumers, and workers. It speeds up and improves the way we conceive, develop, produce and access new products, industrial processes and services. It is the key not only to creating more jobs, building a greener society and improving our quality of life, but also to maintaining our competitiveness on the global market.
The Innovation Union is one of the seven flagship initiatives of the Europe 2020 strategy for a smart, sustainable and inclusive economy. The Innovation Union plan contains over thirty actions points, with the aim to do three things:
- make Europe into a world-class science performer;
- remove obstacles to innovation – like expensive patenting, market fragmentation, slow standard-setting and skills shortages – which currently prevent ideas getting quickly to market; and
- revolutionize the way public and private sectors work together, notably through Innovation Partnerships between the European institutions, national and regional authorities and business.
Innovation showcases some of the most exciting products developed by European researchers, scientists and entrepreneurs.
Innovation programme is made through the cooperation between Euronews and the European Commission's DG for Research and Innovation.
- New Fuel from Old Straw [17 MB]
- More Innovation Union videos
- “Fresh fish supper” [10 MB]
- “New green materials” [10 MB]
- “Milking plants” [11 MB]